"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
Head Chef

You can have a salad prepared and in the fridge waiting for when she gets there. Pears poached in a little wine with some sweet spices is always an elegant and eay desert that you can have ready. (And it is light enough not to weigh you down if you are planning other after dinner activities ;) A chicken fricassee makes a nice homey yet not every day kind of meal that can be warming on the stove. Really anything you can braise will work for this situation. Serve on individual plates, not family style. Bring the plate to her as she is already seated at the table. Makes you appear very gallant. If you can afford it get some cloth napkins. Be sure the plates look appetizing. Candles, especially long tapers might appear too romantic if I am reading your situation correctly but a short jarred candle will help to set the mood. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
You can have a salad prepared and in the fridge waiting for when she gets there. Pears poached in a little wine with some sweet spices is always an elegant and eay desert that you can have ready. (And it is light enough not to weigh you down if you are planning other after dinner activities ;) A chicken fricassee makes a nice homey yet not every day kind of meal that can be warming on the stove. Really anything you can braise will work for this situation. Serve on individual plates, not family style. Bring the plate to her as she is already seated at the table. Makes you appear very gallant. If you can afford it get some cloth napkins. Be sure the plates look appetizing. Candles, especially long tapers might appear too romantic if I am reading your situation correctly but a short jarred candle will help to set the mood. Good luck.
Good idea about the chicken fricassee - Coq Au Vin would be nice.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #23
Senior Cook

zathorious, i hope you have a great evening! let us know what you made!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Don't forget the Dean Martin.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
Sous Chef

I'm getting a kick out of the Casanovas here giving you dating advice. You need to ignore these two Romeos and listen to the women!

Men seem to find it romantic to be fed something that their mothers would make - spaghetti, meatloaf, mac & cheese, steak & potatoes, heavy pasta sauces. Women, even if they're still young, usually have to cook that stuff too often. They are more bowled over by something that they DON'T get at home. Instead of spaghetti, make linguine with white clam sauce. Instead of meatloaf, make a beef bourguignon (fancy beef stew in red wine). Merstar's suggestion of coq au vin would be nice, but I'd give it an updated lighter twist. Fine Cooking has a great version with reisling, shallots & fennel. Get the idea?

Women also usually have lighter appetites, especially when they're dating and trying to make an impression. It's been studied and shown that they eat lighter in front of a man than they do with their girlfriends. So don't put her in a difficult or potentially embarrassing situation. Don't make something big and heavy, especially if you are serving dessert. Make something that is lighter, like chicken or seafood, rather than red meat. She won't feel sexy when she slurps spaghetti and gets tomato sauce on her blouse. Pasta is good, but keep the sauce light. Make sure that whatever you serve her, don't overload the plate. She'll feel obligated to finish it, even if she is stuffed to the gills. Keep the portions small and go back for seconds.

For dessert, anything with fruit or chocolate is sexy. And if you can combine the two, you'll hit it out of the park. Put a couple big beautiful sliced strawberries atop that mousse. Or top it with a raspberry sauce. It has been shown repeatedly that chocolate stimulates certain hormones in women that are closely connected to sexual hormones.

Selkie, Merstar & Joesfolk have some good suggestions from a woman's point of view.

(I still love you Bucky!)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #26
Senior Cook

mmm if a guy makes a good steak a salad and maybe a lava cake, he's got me wrapped around his finger! haha.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I adore a huge fig cut in half stuffed with a small amount of mascarpone drizzled with some honey and then wrapped in a very thin slice of prosciutto.
A big green slaad and some cappelini pasta with sauteed mushrooms in a little butter and either white wine or lemon
kadesma
Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I'm excited for this. I'll choose tomorrow what to make and then start looking for ingredients, luckily I live not too far away from a very good market

I'll check the figs at the market, but let's be honest they're not in season.

I may be able to sneak a picture on here of the food

You guys are great, I have used literally hundreds of forums, and i'd say that this is easily the friendliest I have come across!

Z
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

ss, i respectfully have to disagree. your advice might be ok for an older generation, but is also a bit confusing.

you recommend light meals including seafood, and that's exactly what i posted. not a heavy sauce.
first you say don't make spaghetti like mama, but then you say it's ok. i don't get it... i think you might have confused some of the posts.

if zath were dating an older woman then i'd agree about the blouse and sauce. but they're 18. i don't think young women even wear something called a blouse anymore, let alone worry about getting food on themselves.

actually, it's a good test. if a young woman does "slurp" sauce onto herself, (besides being a pig) it's a good indication of how she'll react in other ways.

if she freaks out and demands you run out for club soda, then she's too high strung.
if she insists you pay for the dry cleaning, then she's too high maintenance.
if she starts a food fight so you're both in the same boat, well, you might be onto something there, or she might be crazy. either one, lol.

all of this doesn't matter, though, if she's hot.

ok zath, so get in there, and just be yourself. funny works well, can you be funny?

if you really want to try tricks and smoke and mirrors to get to your goal, find out about a subject she likes and do a little research on it. then include some of this new knowledge in to the conversation, again casually. but then eventually let her know that you researched it to impress her.

for some reason that kind of subterfuge is looked at as you being a caring guy, wanting to please her.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

We're sorta already seeing eachother, like I said it's complicated. It'l be fun i'm sure. Thursday night= D-day ;)