"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Romantic meal?

Hi all,

I'm 18, which means i'm relatively new to the kitchen (I know some of you, by this time have been in the kitchen for years).

I have hosted two dinner parties, both of which I am happy to say were successes.

So why am I posting?

It's rather simple.

I'm having a girl to stay and I don't know what to cook. I could have looked up "romantic meals" on google. However google's results wouldn't have taken the key factors into account.

She gets off at eight, so i'm going to need something ready for when we walk in the door.

I'm not a rich man i'm afraid so I need something relatively easy on the wallet.

I'm new to the kitchen, I need something that I can't screw up easily!

I'll have free time on my hands so if anyone can also recommend an easy dessert, that'd be just peachy!

Zathorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Master Chef
It doesn't matter what you cook. It's the ambiance you need to create. Having pizza can be romantic.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
What you cook is less important than the ambiance, as roadfix said. Candles, mood lighting, appropriate music a nicely dressed person (that would be you) greeting her at the door with a flower.

That said, we're all strangers here and don't have clue what this woman likes to eat that you can cook. So don't ask us, ask her.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Master Chef
Also, since you're preparing the meal it's best to find out if she's allergic to anything. Also assume she's lactose intolerant and prepare your meals accordingly. You don't want any surprises and ruin a romantic evening from her food discomfort....:D
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef
As some of the others have said, presentation is everything. Anything you fix can appear to be "special" if you present it properly, even something as mundane as macaroni & cheese. Making HER feel special, she'll hardly notice what it is you're serving.

Some things to avoid:

No scented candles or strong cologne. The odor will not help the food and/or wine taste good! Eating is a function of smell as much as it is taste.

Put a doily or small decoratively cut waxed paper or parchment under any lit candles on the table. They will save your finish when the wax drips low. Regular paper will soak through.

Be attentive, but don't let her help. Not even clearing the dishes! Make it known that she is your special guest and is to be served, at least for that evening.

Leave cleanup for the next morning. Don't spoil the mood with messing around in the kitchen.

Good Luck!
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
Sound advice indeed, however i'm one step ahead of you ;)

I already have the music picked out, it's an odd and complicated situation, I really just need to make something which is subtly romantic.

I'm excited for it big time.

Mac and cheese and pizza is too easy.

Here's the first turkey I cooked for thanksgiving.

I can't set up a nice table and what not, the whole thing is casual and laid back. She doesn't want me to 'go to any trouble' (yes women say one thing and mean the other I know) and I know that if I do it'll make her uncomfortable, so that is why I need to be subtle.

For dessert i'm thinking something with figs. Perhaps some high quality figs by themselves?

Romantic and easy, and something I can leave because I have to pick her up.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
welcome zathorious.

ok, i'll start with the dessert since you'vge tipped your hand with the figs.

if you can get fresh figs (they're really a summer thing) stuff them with moscarpone cheese, top with crushed pistacios (or nut of your choice), and combine honey balsamic vinegar, and orange zest - bring to a boil and reduce until thickened, then drizzle over the stuffed figs.

if you can only get dried figs, combine dry red wine, sugar, and balsamic vinegar, then simmer the figs in the mixture until they absorb some of it - plumping up a bit, and the remaining liquid is reduced into a sauce. plate the figs, top with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with the sauce.

oh wait, i just noticed you're 18. i'm not sure where you're from but you might not be able to do the red wine one.

now, as far as dinner goes, do you want to be able to have something ready when you walk in the door, or can you make a quick meal in say - less than 30 minutes?

if it's the latter, how do you guys like italian seafood?
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Head Chef
ditto above.

If you care, your cooking will show it and I wouldn't worry.

"peachy." That's a good idea. Oven broil halves with brown sugar and a pad of butter. Chill in frig. Serve tableside spooned with cream.
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Head Chef
Here's another idea for figs:
A friend of mine made these, and they're delicious: (you an use orange juice instead of Grand Marnier)
Stuffed Figs Drizzled With Chocolate Recipe - Food.com - 68911

Also, Strawberries dipped in chocolate would be nice.
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
Now we're talking haha.

Italian seafood sounds good, what do you have in mind?

Our relationship isn't exactly conventional, we're not talking to each other till the day of hahaha, madness I know.

I want her to remember this night for a long time and it's going to start with the meal.

I'm all ears to this Italian seafood, but I don't want anything too too heavy on the breath or gut ;)

I may have found my dessert
BBC - Food - Recipes : Raymond Blanc's basic chocolate mousse

Thanks guys.