"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have gotten to where I don't like my fish cooked anymore (or at least the ones that can be served sushi style).

I like others started out with the california roll.... I have since left that behind and enjoy a spicy tuna hand roll wrapped in soy paper sans rice. I just like the flavor of sushi grade fish and hate to cover it up to much with wasabi or soy.

Take baby steps and a sampler platter may be the way to go. Good luck with it all and let us know how you like it all once you have had a chance to try it.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Sit at the sushi bar and tell the Itame (sushi chef) that you have never had sushi and want to try. Tell him what you like and are willing to try. He will take care of you and guide you through the world of sushi. That is part of his job.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

GB is correct.

If it's your first time, make sure you go to a high end place. The price differences aren't that great. go to a review site on city search and find one of the most highly ranked places in LA. when you go to a sushi place, ive gotten in the habit of asking "What flew in today?"

Try and lean towards the freshest possible fish there. Most places get some type of fish delivered every day.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The raw fish is where it is at (for me). Salmon and tuna are the easiest raw fish to start with. I would go for the tuna first.
That is exactly what I did GB. I started with tuna and then tried salmon. I haven't really gone beyond those two yet, partly because I really like them, and also because we just can't afford to go out.

I am one of those people who always said "yuck" when I heard the word sushi. Then I got to thinking about all the truly gross stuff the contestants eat on shows like Fear Factor and Survivor. I decided that if they could eat that stuff, I could try sushi. Little did I know I would love it! I have started eating my steak and prime rib much rarer also (I grew up on well-done but usually ask for medium-rare now). I have always liked trying new things, but I have become much more adventurous since joining Discuss Cooking!

Barbara
Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I was just like you Barbara. just the though of sushi made me feel sick until I got up some courage and tasted it. It is now my absolute favorite food bar none.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
Everymom

I'm so jealous. You have a world of wonders about to open up to you. Have fun tasting. You have received some truly excellent advice and I hope you do as GB suggests and put yourself in the hands of the sushi chef. It really is very important to find a place that is higher end as well. They will have better trained people and likely, better quality food.

My favorite is the sashimi. The raw tuna can be melt in your mouth good if it is fresh, but it can be worse than a mouthful of lake weeds if it isn't. The raw salmon is incredible and the snapper is very strong tasting as is halibut so be aware of those things before you try.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #17
Sous Chef

i like all types but do not enjoy tuna. thats just me though. Ive tried ahi, bluefin, and yellowfin or somethin, dont like any of it. just not a tuna guy.

canadian snow crab is excellent.
combos are fun, like a fish type and then a fruit or veggie.
I personally like seared scallop and mango rolls, something I love making.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #18
Master Chef

Alix - I've been enjoying both snapper & halibut sushi for many many years now & neither one has ever been strong tasting. In fact, as white fish, they've both been as mild if not milder than tuna & salmon. No sushi/sashimi should be "strong tasting". Heck, even raw marinated mackeral isn't strong tasting, but it's definitely more assertive than tuna, salmon, or any white fish varieties. If you're getting strong tasting snapper, halibut, or frankly any fish at your sushi place, it can't be very fresh & I'd stop ordering it.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure I would agree with that Breezy. Some fish does have a strong taste, even when exceptionally fresh. Mackerel is one of them. I have had raw mackerel many many times and I would always describe it as strong tasting.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I had my 13th birthday party at a sushi restaurant. My friends all thought I was crazy but 24 years later they still talk about their introduction to sushi. I have taken lots of beginners out for sushi. I always order the eel either as a pice or in a roll & tell them afterwards it's eel. They always love it. My grandmother who's 84 tried eel the first time three years ago & now always orders it & saves it for "dessert". Have fun trying sushi! Be sure to order a side of edamame (soy beans), they are yummy!