Rookie Sushi Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
California roll is a save bet. I like yellow fin tuna rolled with the rice, but NO seaweed... a little wasabi, a little soy... I can make myself sick eating it...

sushi in general is sooo good and you should def. try some. I'm not big on eating raw fish, for example the raw tuna rolls aren't my favorite. But I could eat the ones with tempura shrimp, crab, and crawfish everyday!! Restaurants also should have delicious appetizers such as spicy tempura egg rolls and salads like the avocado and crab salad! Just get your feet wet and try something different everytime! I'm sure you'll love it!

lpb

If you can get Super White anywhere, please try it. It is my favorite by far. It is not really raw, they do sear the outside with a torch. Get it sashimi style, served with a bit of ponzu sauce. Absolutely delightful!!

Hey LuckyDuck.... by now you should have tried some sushi right????? I'm wanting to know what you had and how you liked / disliked it!

Sushi just means vineagared rice, so technically sushi can just be seasoned balls of rice (a common bento box item in japan from what I hear).

It's really not the flavor of raw fish that turns most Americans off from raw fish, but the texture and the idea that you are eating raw meat (muscle). The other flavor that sometimes seems foreign to Americans is the flavor of toasted seaweed.

I would recommend that you try the handformed bitesized pieces of sushi called "Nigiri". Start with Tamago Nigiri (sweet rolled japanese omelet), then try Unagi Nigiri (Freshwater Eel) which just looks like a piece of BBQ'd fish with some sweet sauce called Nitsume.

Personally, I find the imitation crab meat in California rolls to be absolutely disgusting, and would not recommend trying them unless you are at a higher-end bar that uses real crab meat.

But sushi is only one area of Japanese food. Try some things that others have mentioned like Edamame, Miso Soup, Sunomono, etc. Traditional Japanese food is very beautiful (and I'm not just speaking in terms of presentation). It is often quite simple with very few ingredients, and hinges entirely upon great ingredients that are in season (or preserved) and proper preparation.

My personal favorite is Hamachi Nigiri. A common thing in sushi bars is to springle finely sliced spring onions on them, but I'm always sure to tell the sushi-chef to "hold the onions". My local haunt always serves my order with a couple pieces of Tamago. Many people judge a sushibar by it's preparation of the omelet - I do so as well, and find it to be the perfect opener. I also enjoy shiro-maguro, or albacore tuna. It is quite delicate, and one of my top ordered items. I also enjoy flying fish roe in battleship style sushi (Tobiko). It is very different than the similar looking masago that most sushi bars roll california rolls in, or mix into spicy tuna rolls.

Anyhoo... just try to let go of past preconceptions and explore! :) :pig:

Thanx for the tip GB. You would think I wouldn't be a big sissy about eel if I eat crawfish and alligator. I will give it a try on my next visit to the sushi bar.

Back
Top Bottom