"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Rookie Sushi Eater

Ok. I live in Los Angeles, Ca and everywhere I go there is a sushi place or something. I've never had sushi before and very picky with my food. I don't want to dive right in and start eating it then hate it without trying different types. Would like to ease my way into eating sushi. What type of sushi is good for a beginner?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, Lucky. The first thing to remember is that not all sushi contains raw fish; there are lots with cooked fish or all veggie. I'd start with a California roll - it contains cucumber, imitation crab stick, and avocado. If you like hot foods, try a little wasabi on it (the green stuff) and see how you like it. I also really like the barbecued eel and shrimp nigiri (a lump of rice with a slice of cooked shrimp on top).

Check this out: Sushi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Write down what appeals to you and take the list to a sushi place. Sit at the bar and give the server a few of the items on your list, then watch the chef make them. That's always fun

Old 10-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Head Chef

I ask for custom rolls when i order. If it's a nice place they will make what you ask.. it's amazing.

my fav roll -

Hamachi
Cream Cheese
Scallions

Most beginners will do a roll like this for their first one -

Smoked Salmon
Cream Cheese
Avocado

Or this one -

Shrimp Tempura
Cream Cheese
Cucumber

But trust me, give mine a shot.

Make sure you put some wasabi in your little soy sauce dish they give you, its like japanese horseradish. Great flavor and great heat, and the heat is fleeting...It goes away after like a second, nothing like traditional hotsauces.

Good eating!

fyi - the hamachi may be called Yellowtail on the menu, and will be served raw, but you won't even be able to tell. There are many other flavors going on, and it's heavenly
Old 10-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks. I could try the California Roll but the BBQ eel and shrimp nigiri would be too much for me because I never had eel :)

Hey Mylegsbig do you only get those types of sushi because they all have Cream Cheese in them lol? I'll give the Shrimp Tempura, Cream Cheese, and Cucumber one a shot. I'll use the wasabi stuff too. I heard its HOT so I'll use alittle at a time.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Sous Chef

You should just stop in one of those restaurants and see if they have a sampler platter.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Thanks. I could try the California Roll but the BBQ eel and shrimp nigiri would be too much for me because I never had eel :)
So? I had never had eel before I had it in sushi, either. It's not a real distinct flavor - the bbq sauce, wasabi, soy dipping sauce, and surrounding rice and nori (seaweed wrapper) add flavor, too. But you could start with the other suggestions and save this one for later
Old 10-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Head Chef

Lucky, i like them with cream cheese or without.

I just think the cream cheese adds another dimension to the sushi.

That is the mean reason i like rolls, you get sooo many different flavor levels, all in one bite.

Amazing stuff.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Eel is actually one of the easier things for beginners to try. It is cooked and covered in BBQ sauce.

The raw fish is where it is at (for me). Salmon and tuna are the easiest raw fish to start with. I would go for the tuna first.

Do you have any sushi places by you have have a buffet? Those seem to be popping up all over the place and are a great way to try sushi because you can take a whole bunch of different types, but they usually also have cooked items so if you don't like the sushi you won't go hungry.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
Master Chef

I agree with the suggestions to try cooked versions of sushi like California Roll, cooked shrimp, cooked egg, smoked salmon, etc..

Moving on from that I'd start trying the small raw fish "maki" rolls - like tekka maki (tuna), etc. While these little bite-size morsels do contain raw fish, the combination of ingredients in the roll give you an introduction to the taste & texture without screaming "raw fish".

When/if you're comfortable with different raw fish rolls, try some samples of nigiri sushi from the a la carte menu. This way you usually get just 2 pieces of any selection to try, instead of a whole platter. Start with cooked shrimp & move on to raw tuna & raw salmon (both safe mild bets). And even tho you've never had eel, how will you ever know you likie it unless you try it?? Eel is always cooked for sushi & is DELICIOUS!!! Why wouldn't you want to at least try it?

Being a picky eater is no way to go through life when there is so much delicious food out there to try. And that has nothing to do with just sushi; I mean food in general. I thank my lucky starts that I was raised by parents who made us taste EVERYTHING before proclaiming whether or not we liked it. They never forced us to eat anything after that initial taste, but we did have to taste it first. I shudder to think what my food life would be right now without that education. So many of the people I grew up with were so catered to foodwise as kids that these days you can't give them anything but Spaghetti-O's to make them happy. So so sad.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Head Chef

If by any chance you see bluefin tuna you'd best us all a favor and try it ;)

It's available to very few of us, but i have a feeling it's available in Los Angeles.