Rookie Sushi Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyDuck

Assistant Cook
Ok. I live in Los Angeles, Ca and everywhere I go there is a sushi place or something. I've never had sushi before and very picky with my food. I don't want to dive right in and start eating it then hate it without trying different types. Would like to ease my way into eating sushi. What type of sushi is good for a beginner?

Hey, Lucky. The first thing to remember is that not all sushi contains raw fish; there are lots with cooked fish or all veggie. I'd start with a California roll - it contains cucumber, imitation crab stick, and avocado. If you like hot foods, try a little wasabi on it (the green stuff) and see how you like it. I also really like the barbecued eel and shrimp nigiri (a lump of rice with a slice of cooked shrimp on top).

Check this out: Sushi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Write down what appeals to you and take the list to a sushi place. Sit at the bar and give the server a few of the items on your list, then watch the chef make them. That's always fun :)

I ask for custom rolls when i order. If it's a nice place they will make what you ask.. it's amazing.

my fav roll -

Hamachi
Cream Cheese
Scallions

Most beginners will do a roll like this for their first one -

Smoked Salmon
Cream Cheese
Avocado

Or this one -

Shrimp Tempura
Cream Cheese
Cucumber

But trust me, give mine a shot.

Make sure you put some wasabi in your little soy sauce dish they give you, its like japanese horseradish. Great flavor and great heat, and the heat is fleeting...It goes away after like a second, nothing like traditional hotsauces.

Good eating!

fyi - the hamachi may be called Yellowtail on the menu, and will be served raw, but you won't even be able to tell. There are many other flavors going on, and it's heavenly

Thanks. I could try the California Roll but the BBQ eel and shrimp nigiri would be too much for me because I never had eel :)

Hey Mylegsbig do you only get those types of sushi because they all have Cream Cheese in them lol? I'll give the Shrimp Tempura, Cream Cheese, and Cucumber one a shot. I'll use the wasabi stuff too. I heard its HOT so I'll use alittle at a time.

Thanks. I could try the California Roll but the BBQ eel and shrimp nigiri would be too much for me because I never had eel :)

So? ;) I had never had eel before I had it in sushi, either. It's not a real distinct flavor - the bbq sauce, wasabi, soy dipping sauce, and surrounding rice and nori (seaweed wrapper) add flavor, too. But you could start with the other suggestions and save this one for later :)

Lucky, i like them with cream cheese or without.

I just think the cream cheese adds another dimension to the sushi.

That is the mean reason i like rolls, you get sooo many different flavor levels, all in one bite.

Amazing stuff.

Eel is actually one of the easier things for beginners to try. It is cooked and covered in BBQ sauce.

The raw fish is where it is at (for me). Salmon and tuna are the easiest raw fish to start with. I would go for the tuna first.

Do you have any sushi places by you have have a buffet? Those seem to be popping up all over the place and are a great way to try sushi because you can take a whole bunch of different types, but they usually also have cooked items so if you don't like the sushi you won't go hungry.

I agree with the suggestions to try cooked versions of sushi like California Roll, cooked shrimp, cooked egg, smoked salmon, etc..

Moving on from that I'd start trying the small raw fish "maki" rolls - like tekka maki (tuna), etc. While these little bite-size morsels do contain raw fish, the combination of ingredients in the roll give you an introduction to the taste & texture without screaming "raw fish".

When/if you're comfortable with different raw fish rolls, try some samples of nigiri sushi from the a la carte menu. This way you usually get just 2 pieces of any selection to try, instead of a whole platter. Start with cooked shrimp & move on to raw tuna & raw salmon (both safe mild bets). And even tho you've never had eel, how will you ever know you likie it unless you try it?? Eel is always cooked for sushi & is DELICIOUS!!! Why wouldn't you want to at least try it?

Being a picky eater is no way to go through life when there is so much delicious food out there to try. And that has nothing to do with just sushi; I mean food in general. I thank my lucky starts that I was raised by parents who made us taste EVERYTHING before proclaiming whether or not we liked it. They never forced us to eat anything after that initial taste, but we did have to taste it first. I shudder to think what my food life would be right now without that education. So many of the people I grew up with were so catered to foodwise as kids that these days you can't give them anything but Spaghetti-O's to make them happy. So so sad.

If by any chance you see bluefin tuna you'd best us all a favor and try it ;)

It's available to very few of us, but i have a feeling it's available in Los Angeles.

I have gotten to where I don't like my fish cooked anymore (or at least the ones that can be served sushi style).

I like others started out with the california roll.... I have since left that behind and enjoy a spicy tuna hand roll wrapped in soy paper sans rice. I just like the flavor of sushi grade fish and hate to cover it up to much with wasabi or soy.

Take baby steps and a sampler platter may be the way to go. Good luck with it all and let us know how you like it all once you have had a chance to try it.

Sit at the sushi bar and tell the Itame (sushi chef) that you have never had sushi and want to try. Tell him what you like and are willing to try. He will take care of you and guide you through the world of sushi. That is part of his job.

GB is correct.

If it's your first time, make sure you go to a high end place. The price differences aren't that great. go to a review site on city search and find one of the most highly ranked places in LA. when you go to a sushi place, ive gotten in the habit of asking "What flew in today?"

Try and lean towards the freshest possible fish there. Most places get some type of fish delivered every day.

The raw fish is where it is at (for me). Salmon and tuna are the easiest raw fish to start with. I would go for the tuna first.
That is exactly what I did GB. I started with tuna and then tried salmon. I haven't really gone beyond those two yet, partly because I really like them, and also because we just can't afford to go out.

I am one of those people who always said "yuck" when I heard the word sushi. Then I got to thinking about all the truly gross stuff the contestants eat on shows like Fear Factor and Survivor. I decided that if they could eat that stuff, I could try sushi. Little did I know I would love it! I have started eating my steak and prime rib much rarer also (I grew up on well-done but usually ask for medium-rare now). I have always liked trying new things, but I have become much more adventurous since joining Discuss Cooking!

:)Barbara

Last edited:
I was just like you Barbara. just the though of sushi made me feel sick until I got up some courage and tasted it. It is now my absolute favorite food bar none.

I'm so jealous. You have a world of wonders about to open up to you. Have fun tasting. You have received some truly excellent advice and I hope you do as GB suggests and put yourself in the hands of the sushi chef. It really is very important to find a place that is higher end as well. They will have better trained people and likely, better quality food.

My favorite is the sashimi. The raw tuna can be melt in your mouth good if it is fresh, but it can be worse than a mouthful of lake weeds if it isn't. The raw salmon is incredible and the snapper is very strong tasting as is halibut so be aware of those things before you try.

i like all types but do not enjoy tuna. thats just me though. Ive tried ahi, bluefin, and yellowfin or somethin, dont like any of it. just not a tuna guy.

canadian snow crab is excellent.
combos are fun, like a fish type and then a fruit or veggie.
I personally like seared scallop and mango rolls, something I love making.

Alix - I've been enjoying both snapper & halibut sushi for many many years now & neither one has ever been strong tasting. In fact, as white fish, they've both been as mild if not milder than tuna & salmon. No sushi/sashimi should be "strong tasting". Heck, even raw marinated mackeral isn't strong tasting, but it's definitely more assertive than tuna, salmon, or any white fish varieties. If you're getting strong tasting snapper, halibut, or frankly any fish at your sushi place, it can't be very fresh & I'd stop ordering it.

I am not sure I would agree with that Breezy. Some fish does have a strong taste, even when exceptionally fresh. Mackerel is one of them. I have had raw mackerel many many times and I would always describe it as strong tasting.

I had my 13th birthday party at a sushi restaurant. My friends all thought I was crazy but 24 years later they still talk about their introduction to sushi. I have taken lots of beginners out for sushi. I always order the eel either as a pice or in a roll & tell them afterwards it's eel. They always love it. My grandmother who's 84 tried eel the first time three years ago & now always orders it & saves it for "dessert". Have fun trying sushi! Be sure to order a side of edamame (soy beans), they are yummy!:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom