Roux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone tried making a roux in the oven? I read a process where you bake the dry flour to the appropriate color in the oven the move it to a pan and mix in the oil.

America's Test Kitchen / Cook's Country / Cook's Illustrated (?) came up with a roux that started on the stove and finished in the oven. I don't recall all the details, but they started by browning the dry flour on the stovetop, which only took a few minutes. Then they added the oil and transferred the pot to the oven. It was relatively hands-free with apparently good results.

I am not speaking from experience on this - I haven't tried it.

America's Test Kitchen / Cook's Country / Cook's Illustrated (?) came up with a roux that started on the stove and finished in the oven. I don't recall all the details, but they started by browning the dry flour on the stovetop, which only took a few minutes. Then they added the oil and transferred the pot to the oven. It was relatively hands-free with apparently good results.

I am not speaking from experience on this - I haven't tried it.

I have not tried this way but it looks like it would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGHL5AoNPs

The gumbo was absolutely delicious folks...the roux turned out very well. Thanks for all of your encouragement, I would have thrown in the towel if it wasn't for you. Patience is a virtue!!:LOL:

Roux by itself does not taste good...even though Shrek wants to eat it with a spoon since it smells so good.

The gumbo was absolutely delicious folks...the roux turned out very well. Thanks for all of your encouragement, I would have thrown in the towel if it wasn't for you. Patience is a virtue!!:LOL:

Thanks for sharing your end results, and so glad to hear it was a success! Hope to see more of you here, Lori. :)

I love roux. Especially as a vegetarian, many times when I cook certain stews, they taste kinda empty ( missing the fat or meat taste). But when I add a roux to it, it seams to bring out the best of the flavors, and also kinda ' fill in the blanks' so it doesnt taste 'empty' or like its missing something.

Back
Top Bottom