Roux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lori58

Assistant Cook
I have spent all morning making a roux for a seafood gumbo and it tastes horrible, just like flour. It is a nice milk chocolate colour and has a bit of a nutty taste but I am afraid to add the fish to it, it case its not edible. Any suggestions?

Yes, equal amounts of flour and fat and it looks like the right consistency and colour but even with the spices (Cajun) it still tastes very floury.

No, this was my first time making this. Looks like its dinner out tonight, lol

No, this was my first time making this. Looks like its dinner out tonight, lol

Not so fast!

We're talking about a two ingredient item - fat and flour. After cooking, it would not be unreasonable to assume you could detect flavors of either or both ingredients. You may just be in a situation where you don't know what it should taste like.

I recommend you proceed with the recipe as planned.

One caveat. If you have irrevocably convinced yourself you will always taste the flour, don't bother. If you think you could be wrong and it's worth a try. It's worth a try.

Good point Andy about the two ingredients. And actually, I think I panicked because after giving it a few hours for spice flavours to meld, it is actually quite good and I am going to proceed with it. I couldn't figure out how it could look right and be the right consistency and taste wrong so I think all is good. I will let you know after dinner! Thanks for your support :chef:

Are you sure you didn't burn it? How did you make it, low and slow or hot and fast? once I get the roux to the right color, the next thing I add is the trinity and cook, constantly stirring until the veggis are soft. Then the garlic and spices go in and get stirred for another minute or so. By this time, all flower taste is gone and I start adding the roux to the stock. Seafood goes last, in order, from most cooking time to least.

Yes Craig, I cooked it slow...45 minutes to an hour, I then added the trinity and then the stock and spices last. Fish will go in last when we are ready to eat. I think it will be ok now but I like your order of operations.

Yes, equal amounts of flour and fat and it looks like the right consistency and colour but even with the spices (Cajun) it still tastes very floury.
Did you cook off the fat and flour properly before adding the liquid? If you don't no amount of cooking will get rid of the flour taste.

You can make a real good dark roux if you want. The key is to control the temperature.

You can always attempt to add bits of your mirepoix/trinity into the hot roux to cool it down a bit. Low heat and stirring are your best friend.

Has anyone tried making a roux in the oven? I read a process where you bake the dry flour to the appropriate color in the oven the move it to a pan and mix in the oil.

Has anyone tried making a roux in the oven? I read a process where you bake the dry flour to the appropriate color in the oven the move it to a pan and mix in the oil.

I have tried it in a dutch oven. It comes out okay for me but I prefer on the stove, where I can control the heat.

I don't understand. You can control the heat in the oven.

Perhaps I am being misunderstood. It is a lot easier, for me, to stir the roux and use my stove top to adjust the heat high or low depending upon how dark or light it is. To me there is just less margin for error, more chance for consistency, not to mention every French cookbook I have read calls for rouxs on stove tops.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am being misunderstood. It is a lot easier, for me, to stir the roux and use my stove top to adjust the heat high or low depending upon how dark or light it is. To me there is just less margin for error, more chance for consistency, not to mention every French cookbook I have read calls for rouxs on stove tops.

Your mileage may vary.

I make mine on the stove top as well. I didn't understand you comment about heat control so i asked. Not suggesting you should change your method or that it's not a good way to do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom