Rye crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
DH brought home a big package of Wasa Light Rye crackers to have with the reuben dip I made. To me, they taste like cardboard, only dryer and with less flavor.

What should I do with them?

You could make something like a fattoush or panzanella - bread salad. Break them up, mix them with a vinaigrette and salad veggies and see what you think.

I love Wasa crisp bread. My store no longer sells it because I was the only one who bought it. I generally just ate it with butter but it would be great to spread something on. They won't work for dipping. Can you transform your dip into a spread?

Wasa's Light Rye crackers don't have much of a flavor of their own but they do have a flavor that you can taste once your taste buds turn you on to it. Be sure to taste a bit of spread on a piece of Wasa Flat Bread before you serve it. You may want to add more salt as none of the Wasa flat breads have added salt.

Last edited:
I think the deer and wild turkeys will get them. To me they're inedible. Gave some to the neighbor along with some reuben dip.

Or I will send them to Liz.

Extra sharp cheddar cheese, spicy brown mustard, and minced raw sweet onion.

And a coupla cold beers.

Or-

Smoked trout, sour cream, sweet pickled onions.

And a coupla cold beers.

Or-

Chopped shrimp, ketchup, horseradish, and lemon juice.

And, well, hey baby. What's your sign? I'm a ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried Wasa brand Dawg, but your post reminded me of the RyKrisp seasoned crackers I used to buy all the time. I loved them and might have to pick up a box again soon. Kind of a Triscuit-y texture, and well seasoned. I also liked them because they're heavy duty and hold up well to a thick spread such as salmon/cream cheese.

Last edited:
Don't bother with the Wasa, Cheryl. An Amazon cardboard box tastes a lot better. Wish I liked beer, BT. I suspect even vodka won't help.

DH is Benedict Arnold. Though he bought the cardboard crackers, he's been eating the dip on rye bread, not cardboard. Traitor.

Last edited:
First of all they NOT crackers, they are NOT for dipping. Here in Sweden where Wasa comes from, they are used as bread.

Would you eat bread with out butter or something on top? I dont think so.

First spread butter over them, then add cheese, cooked egg, ham, turkey or what else you would have on a sandwich.

They are lovely when eaten as they should.

I never understood why people would eat them dry as crackers.

knackebrodsmacka_med_tonfisk.jpg

Glad you like them, CP. Your appetizers look delicious, and your suggestions make sense. But you may still have mine. I have plenty of cardboard that tastes better.

It not appetizer, that is normal breakfast sandwich. Yes, it bread, eaten with soup for breakfast, for evening meal, for fika. It is bread, just bread that doesnt go off in a hurry. yes Swedish bread has no preservatives so it does mold fast. Which has been hard learning curve for many of my American friends here, specially in August, when everything mold with seconds.

Well, you opened my eyes! Thanks CP! We're not used to this stuff in my neck of the woods.

I seen recipe for savory cheese cakes with this in the crust.

My father use light rye as breakfast cereal, just broken up in bit served with Lingon jam, you can use cranberry sauce and yogurt.

The light ryes are my favorite snack. Sharp cheddar or Swiss and maybe some ham. Eat 6 or 8 most nights. yummy.

And yep, once your taste buds get the hang of them, they are even tasty by themselves.

I eat them because I try and avoid wheat as much as I can. I fail miserably fairly often, but now I eat these because I like them.

I tried one of the other Wasa crackers and they are so hard they nearly broke my teeth. The dogs love crunching those.

DH brought home a big package of Wasa Light Rye crackers to have with the reuben dip I made. To me, they taste like cardboard, only dryer and with less flavor.

What should I do with them?

Feed them to the birds. It is cold out and they need to eat healthy to stay warm.

Vinalhangers, people with brittle teeth here or dentures enjoy them slightly damp, yes a little bit water sprayed over the top and they become softer.

Never seen or tried Wasa. I used to carry Rye Crisp and cheese on day long hikes in the mountains all the time - easier than trying to pack a sandwich.

I first had rye crackers (Hol Rye) in my teens on 2 wilderness canoe trips (Boundary Waters/Quetico Provincial Park). They were a staple on those trips - like the Marines with their "Hoo-rah", our cry was "HOL RYE!". :LOL:

Wasa's Sour dough Rye and Hearty Rye are, IMHO better than the light rye. The sour dough has more flavor and the Hearty has great texture. I miss being able to buy it.

My favorite doesnt exist in America. I love breakfast bread, it has poppyseeds on top. YUm.

Right now I am munching through Christmas crisp bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom