"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef

When I go out riding motocross on the weekends, I pack ice cubes in zip-lock bags and pack them around my lunch. In a soft cooler they last from 9am - 3pm sitting in my car. When I sit down for a snack, I'll dump one bag into my drink.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePlate
Hi All,

... I will be traveling by train and bus, leaving from Chicago. I've volunteered to bring food. Apart from snack munchies, are there any more substantial and/or healthy foods I can prepare that will be safe and tasty even with 6 hours or so with no refrigeration (and no heat?)

Can cold roasted potatoes survive?
Hummus?
What about BBQ pork buns and curry beef buns from Chinatown?

I like picnics but have never prepared food that must survive for so long before....
Are you planning on eating the food while in transit (within six hours), or when you arrive at your destination?

If it's the former, you could pack up any sandwiches of choice, i.e. sliced turkey, chicken breast, roast beef, ham & cheese. Omit anything soggy like tomatoes or lettuce, and mayo salads & put the sandwiches in ziplocks. Stay away from tuna. Use crusty bread or (onion) rolls.

I would forgo a cooler, ice etc. Fresh fruit is another option - oranges, apples etc. I'm a fan of cold pasta salad & cucumber salad (cucumbers, tomato, red onions, black olives, red wine vinegar), but you would need to pack enough for 5 in plastic containers & bring plastic forks and napkins.

If the food will be consumed after your arrival, you can pick up what you need when you arrive, then put it all together. I'm with Uncle Bob, bring cash just in case.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
Master Chef

DH always froze a couple of bottles of water to put in his lunch. Just don't try to freeze anything carbonated, or you'll have a mess.

I like the idea of the salami, hard cheese and crusty bread. Transfer dill pickles and olives into ziplock bags to go with.
You can also buy tuna, salmon, chicken, and other items in the foil bags now, and they are more convenient and easier to pack than the cans.
If the grocery store has a salad bar or deli, ask to buy some individual packets of mustard, mayo, etc for your sandwiches.
In addition to a knife for slicing, don't forget to carry a roll of paper towels.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePlate
Hi All,

Hope this finds all of you well and enjoying great summer or winter weather, wherever you are hemisphere-wise.

I'm going on a wreck diving trip this Saturday off the coast of Milwaukee. I will be traveling by train and bus, leaving from Chicago. I've volunteered to bring food. Apart from snack munchies, are there any more substantial and/or healthy foods I can prepare that will be safe and tasty even with 6 hours or so with no refrigeration (and no heat?)

Can cold roasted potatoes survive?
Hummus?
What about BBQ pork buns and curry beef buns from Chinatown?

There will be about 5 hungry divers. For munchies, I'm thinking of baking cookies, rusks, and/or brownies. I've got Thai Chili Lime peanuts (Trader Joes) and plantain chips. Maybe I will bring flavored almonds, too. I'm thinking of bringing a mix of dried fruit (whole figs, apricots, apples, zante currants, ginger)

I like picnics but have never prepared food that must survive for so long before. I would appreciate any thoughts on this... many thanks!

Take good care,

P.S. Sorry if I've posted in the wrong sub-forum...
Good idea to forego the pork and beef buns as they are best eaten steaming hot for their softness. As for hummus, refrigeration is necessary unless you want to bring it frozen and let it thaw along the way.

All in all, it's best to bring cold cuts, pickles, fresh bread, cookies etc to have a good time.