Salad dressing separation after freezing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasjoe

Assistant Cook
I bought some Ranch dressing in a bag and decided to freeze it. After thawing the oil separated and came to the top with the solids collecting at the bottom. I tried adding an egg yolk in a blender, but it still separated. Is there anything I can do to get the dressing back to it's original consistentcy?

Not sure if this will work.

Drain off the oil and put the rest into a blender. Then, with the blender running, pour the oil into the blender in a very slow drizzle.

personally, if it assembled once correctly and seperated, and its not hollandaise or mayonaise...

I'd whip out my stick blender, pour it into a tall container suited for the blender, and just pulse it. it'll get back in line. I'd do this for a typical emulsion type mix such as a vinegrette...something creamy with egg/oil mix won't help.

it might save the ranch, though. have to try to see if it'll work with blending, or if you absolutely need to seperate and re-add the oil as if you were making mayo. A spot on technique though. :) definately a good way to make sure it gets integrated.

Back
Top Bottom