Salmon Wrapped in Foil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Learning2Cook45

Assistant Cook
I usually cook Salmon at 450 for 15 min or so, but this time around I wrapped the salmon in foil and a good portion of it seemed undercooked when I took it out.

Is this normal that it would take longer to cook if it's wrapped in the foil? I actually really liked cooking it wrapped in foil because it came out super juicy and flavorful.

Any tips?

I have cooked salmon in a foil (heavy duty) packet with scallions, garlic, butter, salt and pepper. Wrap it up leaving some space above the fish. Add a little liquid to add flavor (wine, soy sauce, etc). I baked it at 400ºF for about 15-20 minutes. It's always fully cooked.

You can also use parchment paper in place of the foil but I find the foil easier to work with.

Last edited:
I have cooked salmon in a foil (heavy duty) packet with scallions, garlic, butter, salt and pepper. Wrap it up leaving some space above the fish. Add a little liquid to add flavor (wine, soy sauce, etc). I baked it at 400ºF for about 15-20 minutes. It's always fully cooked.

You can also use parchment paper in place of the foil but I find the foil easier to work with.
thanks, yeah I was surprised when it didn't seem fully cooked. There were parts of the salmon that were very red.

When you bake stuff, do you put it in the top or bottom rack?

I have made a good many foil-pouch salmon and trout dinners, in the oven, in a campfire, and over a camp stove. My go to is the fish, coupled with sliced potatoes, carrots, and maybe a calciferous veggie. I season everything with S&P, and add butter. Seal it tightly in heavy-duty foil, then bake for 25 minutes to make sure the spuds are cooked through. As noted by the op, the fish flavor is greatm and the fish is completely cooked, moist and tender. Surprisongly, the fish flavor doesn't affect the other foil-pouch ingredieints. It makes a great meal.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

IMAG0485.jpg

King Salmon caught that day from a not to be named river in northern Michigan. Left the skin on. In a cast iron skillet on top of bacon and onions. Seasoned with SP&G maybe a few others. Cooked on a campfire, real slow.

It was phenomenal.

As to the OP question about time, I have found a solution for myself as I just encountered similar incomplete cooking of seafood wrapped in foil, baked in the oven.

I cooked some king crab wrapped in foil a few weeks ago. Took about 35 minutes at 425°. Next time I cooked another batch, about the same amount, it wasn't done at the same time and temp.

I don't why I use a timer. I've always had a better way, even since I was a kid. Smell. I can tell when brownies, cookies, cakes, and many other food items in the oven are done, when I can smell them. I have a small ranch house so I'm not too far from the oven.

So I poke a hole in the foil with a toothpick so the smell escapes when it's hot. Also, I can look in the oven and see if steam is coming out of the hole. If so, it's most like done.

Of course, you could get a high tech thermometer that always monitors, maybe even Bluetooths to your phone.

skin on fish can be a tricky thing. If undercook it, it can taste overly strong. The skin will release from the foil when it is done. But the foil must be buttered under the fish skin. A better solution may be to remove the skin, and fry it separately, like cracklings. It will crisp up nicely, and with just a bit of S & Pm us delirious. You can break it into little chunks to sprinkle over potatoes, or on French Fries, or even put into a tossed salad. It will add just the right umami flavor for os many recipes.

But again, when the fish has cooked properly in the foil, the skin will release.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I cooked it in the foil, I also noticed that the skin stuck to the foil. Does this happen to you? If so, how do you fix it?

If you add a liquid that helps keep the skin from sticking. With a liquid in the packet, the fish and the skin don't get hot enough to stick to the foil.

Back
Top Bottom