Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is why, in order to for snack lovers to get a salty taste as they munch and crunch, a lot of salt must be used in order for you to get that salty crunch when you bite down. A lot of untasted salt goes down your gullet. It's how it has to be.

Yeah, you're right. There are three half-bags of chips going into the trash this week.

Yes! Also, microwave potato chips. Labor intensive, but so good. I heavily dose them with Kernal Seasons sour cream and onion sprinkle, they ALMOST taste like Lay's.
Do tell. PLEASE

sort of like public politics sometimes, perhaps the competition on a grocery shelf dictates that you won't stand out, get noticed and bought, unless you go extreme?... this discussion seems to maybe hold true of store offerings being too sweet, too?

Oh, dearie me. I'm missing something here. If I have to work for a few hours to make potato chips, it sort of defeats the purpose.

Claire said:
Oh, dearie me. I'm missing something here. If I have to work for a few hours to make potato chips, it sort of defeats the purpose.

That's why DH gets his hand slapped when he tries to grab a handful. Just do one potato.

msmofet said:
Thank you. On my way to check it out.

BTW I am partial to Wise brand original chips, vinegar and salt and ruffled sour cream and onion chips.

Where do you get the sour cream and onion seasoning?

I used Kernal Seasons Popcorn seasoning. They have a bunch of other kinds too.

http://www.kernelseasons.com/

Last edited:
sort of like public politics sometimes, perhaps the competition on a grocery shelf dictates that you won't stand out, get noticed and bought, unless you go extreme?... this discussion seems to maybe hold true of store offerings being too sweet, too?

Supermarket bread products made with a lot of salt are one of the leading contributors to higher sodium levels in peoples diets today as sited by the US government.

My god...bread

Last edited:
That is why, in order to for snack lovers to get a salty taste as they munch and crunch, a lot of salt must be used in order for you to get that salty crunch when you bite down. A lot of untasted salt goes down to your stomach. It's how it has to be in the world of snack chips.

Interesting point, Caslon. Growing up, we never had such things as snack chips in the house. Except...for the rare time when my parents had special cook-outs in the summer. And I did say rare, because they never occurred more than once or twice per summer.

As a result we 5 children didn't develop a taste/craving for chippy things. I had some Fritos at a friend's house last summer and I nearly choked. They were waaaaaay too salty for me. I routinely scrape the salt off pretzels before I eat them. In my case, I want the taste of the pretzel and not the taste of the salt.

We hardly ever have chips in the house and, last Christmas, I scoured the dollar stores for a tiny lunch-size bag of potato chips for my potato chip cookie recipe. I knew if I bought a regular-sized bag they'd just go stale. Plus I was horrified at the cost of a bag of potato chips. What!!! Good grief, they're only potatoes!

I grew up in a home where my mom taught me to cook and most everything was from scratch. Then, I raised my boys the same way, cooking mostly from scratch and we used some salt, not much.

I didn't realized how little salt we used until we were given Campbell's chicken noodle soup in cans---it's very salty compared to homemade chicken noodle soup, VERY. It's unpleasant.

I love chips, and now, we buy a few bags of lays per year, most last a few months--and it's the salt that makes me stop wanting to eat them. I love the crunch but the saltiness gets me. I have a bag half full, taped shut, until I feel like eating them again.

On a positive crunchy and not too much salt note, Wheat Thins have the crunch and not the salt and I kind of like those.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom