"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Good grief, how could you taste the qualitative differences in salt by tasting salted pickles? You've introduced so many other flavors into the equation that it would be impossible.
Oh for Pete’s sake, read the study. It was suggested there was a difference, and the study proved there wasn't. Is it the definitive answer to every use salt has? no. And who gives a rat's *** anyway, taste is subjective at best, and I'll be testing this on my own. Which will mean absolutely nothing since my taste buds are going to be different from yours. Anything else?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Long ago, I banned Iodized salt from my kitchen. I had always thought I had a sensitivity to salt, and didn't like to salt my food much. On a whim, I switched to Canning and Pickling salt, as it is pure sodium chloride, with no other addivitives. As soon as I tasted the difference, I realized that I had a sensitivity to Iodine, not sodium-chloride.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I can't tell the difference but I don't care for salt particularly. I started using non-iodized kosher salt thinking it might taste better to me but so far, I can't tell a difference.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

rat's *** is much better when rubbed with iodized salt and grilled.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
rat's *** is much better when rubbed with iodized salt and grilled.
Sounds very yummy!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Ok, now I am curious. I've just always bought Iodized for the Iodine..never thought about a taste difference. So I will do a "blind" taste test on the salt alone. Later, on two poached eggs...one with Iodized one with Non-Iodized. I will report the scientific, and conclusive findings here!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Slightly off topic. Iodine is trace element required by our bodies to ensure your thyroid works properly and is the treatment for hyperthyroid. It can be obtained in other ways, seaweed is one that springs straight to mind.

I have never looked for a difference and actually, I'm not sure I even knew that salt could come non-iodised. Sea salt may contained some iodine as iodine is found in sea water. Those are my rambling thoughts on the matter.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #18
Master Chef

Not everybody's taste buds detect the same things in the same way as other people's ... and age, alcohol, smoking and medications can definitely dull or enhance some taste perceptions. So, yes - it is possible for some people to taste the iodine while others don't.

It's been so long since I've used iodized salt that I really can not remember if I noticed any difference in taste. However, I do know that whenever I scrubbed in, or prepped a patient, with Betadine the smell always gave me a funny taste in my mouth.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, my personal blind taste test is complete. The test results are:

Side by side pure salt...I could tell no difference.
On a plain poached egg....I could tell no difference.
On plain boiled potato...I could tell no difference.
On plain broiled fish....I could tell no difference.

Scientific results I can't taste the differerence.

I must totally agree with Michael however, There are so many factors (all different) that effect our taste buds over time that it would be a hard call to definitively say one way or the other for the general population. Obviously, there are those who can detect a difference. I'm just not in that group! It was a fun little test however!! I can however taste how delicious this Wild Turkey American Honey that I am sipping on is...It is soooo good!!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #20
Executive Chef

We all owe you a debt of gratitude, Uncle Bob! You've gone above and beyond, sacrificing yourself in the name of science. You deserve that Wild Turkey. (I'm really glad I'm not the only one who couldn't taste the difference.)