"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

No, but I did make a mountain out of mashed potatoes once.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Slightly off topic. Iodine is trace element required by our bodies to ensure your thyroid works properly and is the treatment for hyperthyroid. It can be obtained in other ways, seaweed is one that springs straight to mind.

I have never looked for a difference and actually, I'm not sure I even knew that salt could come non-iodised. Sea salt may contained some iodine as iodine is found in sea water. Those are my rambling thoughts on the matter.
Seafood contains it good bit of iodine there is some thought that too much iodine causes acne to sensitive people rather than chocolate or greasy foods.But Im sure potato chips and alot of proccessed and fast foods have alot of salt that contains iodine

Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
No, but I did make a mountain out of mashed potatoes once.
Very good one!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
I think you are making it more complicated than it is. Each person is different for a million different reasons. A lot of people taste the iodine and a lot don't. There is not necessarily a single common factor.
I can't be making it more "complicated" when you yourself know there are "a million different reasons". Donít know about you, but when I have to do testing of things like de-rating a part based on environmental conditions, the more conditions that arise, the more complicated it gets. I typically deal with only 5 or so conditions for de-rating, and that alone can be complicated, but a million?

No sir, it seems YOU are making it too complicated for the casual glance.

Look, I tried to COMPLIMENT you and say that perhaps you have a gift (compliment!), maybe a ďsuper tasterĒ. But, you donít want the compliment, fine, donít take it, fight for an argument, but your math is flawed. Physiologically speaking, there arenít that many answers for this phenomenon, and guess what, a few of the answers involve mental inclinations and psychosis.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Keltin you need to relax man. I was not fighting with you. I was simply saying that you are making something complicated (either you taste it or you don't) when it doesn't have to be. Lighten up man. You will live longer.

And I am not sure how saying someone is a super taster is a compliment. Quite honestly I am happy not to be one as they seem to dislike more tastes than normal tasters do.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #36
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Keltin you need to relax man. I was not fighting with you. I was simply saying that you are making something complicated (either you taste it or you don't) when it doesn't have to be. Lighten up man. You will live longer.

And I am not sure how saying someone is a super taster is a compliment. Quite honestly I am happy not to be one as they seem to dislike more tastes than normal tasters do.
Uh....ok.......cool! I'm with you.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #37
Head Chef

I have used Kosher salt for years and when tasting sea salt I can detect a very different taste.. How ever when salt hits the soup or stew pot that taste vanish;s like the wind. After it is in the pot or on the meat it is apples to apples and oranges to oranges