Salt keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookKoch

Assistant Cook
Does any one use a salt keeper? What are the pros and cons? Should I get a regular wood or olive wood. I am thinking about this one...any real life info would be greatly appreciated.

I know Berard makes one, William-Sonama and Bonjour.

thanks
Matt

I use an old glass jar with a cork stopper. Someday I will graduate to a real salt cellar....
To keep it "dry", I put a dessicant packet from some other package in the bottom and change it out every now and then. :)

I have one that is ceramic and then a wooden box with 6 compartments..I love both..They keep the salt perfectly.
kadesma

I have a ceramic salt pig, open on the front, sitting right next to the stove. Even in my HUMID Missouri summers, the salt in the pig never clumps. The salt shakers sit right next to the pig and get beads of water on top and the salt clogs the holes, but the pig salt is fine.

Somebody 'splain the physics/chemistry of that to me, please.

I just got a salt cellar. Prior to that I used a small, round tupperware container. The one I got has the sliding top on it and is wood. Amazon had two in this style, a small and a large. I got the small first and sent it back. It not only held a very small amount of salt, I could not comfortably get my fingers into it to grab a pinch. The large is more what I would call a medium size and is perfect.
I just got one of those Unicorn Magnum pepper grinders today. Very chintzy looking for the price, but man what I nice grind. At least they put the work into where it counts.

I have a couple tupperware salt and pepper shakers out by the grill. Basically just for hamburgers, as I season everything else inside the house. I keep them outside year round and never have a clumping problem.

I have this one and I love it.

I prefer one with a lid so that insects and dust and other things can't get it.

The advantages of a salt cellar is that you have salt handy and you can just grab a pinch when you want.

There is no advantage of olive wood over other types of wood. It is just aesthetics.

I have this one and I love it.

I prefer one with a lid so that insects and dust and other things can't get it.

The advantages of a salt cellar is that you have salt handy and you can just grab a pinch when you want.

There is no advantage of olive wood over other types of wood. It is just aesthetics.

I have that one too but without a spoon. I had purchased it from Alton Brown's site about 4 yrs ago. It did not have a spoon with it. Now I know better ;) if I want to buy anything else , use Amazon. ;)

Mine did not have the spoon either. I got mine from Altons site as well. I am glad I did not get a spoon with mine though. I would not use it. I like using my fingers.

How do you control the salt output on that Andy? I would think with holes that large and so many of them that is would be very easy to over salt something when you just want a little pinch.

Just like anything else, you learn the nuances. The degree of tilt, the strength of the shake.

I've just never been comfortable with pinching for sanitary reasons.

Mine did not have the spoon either. I got mine from Altons site as well. I am glad I did not get a spoon with mine though. I would not use it. I like using my fingers.

I kinda figured it didn't come with the spoon when I didn't see a slot in the lid, but I see that some cellars come with small spoons. Nice if your fingers are wet, but harder to control IMO.

Hey, that's sweet, Andy. It looks just like the red pepper flake and parmesan shakers at the pizza joints. Imagine that ;)
Whatever works, right? :)

I use a lidded glass salt cellar with the cutest tiny spoon. It is way easy to spoon out a tad of salt instead of dragging out my bag of kosher salt from the cupboard. I love salt, especially the large flaked kind.

...Hey, that's sweet, Andy. It looks just like the red pepper flake and parmesan shakers at the pizza joints. Imagine that ;)
Whatever works, right? :)

That's what it is, a cheese shaker. I had a smaller one that you sometimes see with pepper flakes in it but I had to refill it too often.

I just got a Magnum Plus. It sure cranks out a lot of pepper!

:) I use a handmade ceramic honey jar that has a lid with a small opening on it's side so you can keep a spoon in it. I put a stainless steel teaspoon thats the size of a toddlers spoon in .

Back
Top Bottom