"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I am sitting outside about 10 feet away from about 10 ripe early girls and a lot of ripe heirloom cherries on a plant that looks to be giving up the ghost.

The fleur de sel and worcestershire sauce are about 20 feet away in the kitchen.

Lunchtime is apporaching .....
Jenny,
the goodies leftover in the bottom of the plate Bucky mentioned...Make sure you have a nice thick slice of Italian or french bread to wipe off that plate

kadesma

Old 08-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
(i gave up on heirlooms after too much cracking, and not enough fruits per plant).
Hmmmm.

I've gone back to growing heirlooms from seed this year, for the first time in 15 years, because I was hoping that the flavor of the tomatoes would make up for the pain in the butt that they are. Yes, they are huge, and the number of fruits on each plant is small, and I have some spectacularly mutant ones, but I am still hoping that the flavors of the Brandywine and Rutgers will knock my socks off.

You weren't impressed, bucky?

Maybe I'll try the fancy salts, then.

Lee

Old 08-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef

There's a company called Saltworks, not sure the website address. I bought mine in Montreal in specialty stores. I also got a gift set for Chritmas that was bought at Costco. They are great fun to play around with.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:45 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

oh no, qsis, heirlooms are very good for the fact that that's the way nature intended them, as best as we can tell (or it's assumed). of the group commonly available, brandywines are cool looking, and have a "real, meaty tomato" taste.

but i knew i wasn't going to have a lot of time to tend to the garden this year, or any year soon for that matter, so i planted hybridized plants that resist cracking and are vfn resistant.

btw, brandywines are so popular that there have become sub-cultivars from private seed selections and swaps, so you really can't be sure until you grow it.

here's more than you need to know about brandywines: http://www.victoryseeds.com/informat...randywine.html
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i still like to put worcestershire sauce on sliced early girls and celebrities. it's so good that after there's no tomato left, i sip the leftover tomato juice, mucilaginous seeds, and whatever else is left with the worcestershire sauce.

YUMMO! Good call on the Worcestershire sauce. Made a very fine lunch

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Australian Murray river pops and instantly pulls the full flavor out of the greener, yellow varieties.
OMG, Scotty! went to a fabulous dinner last night and there were little pots of this salt on the table! It's outrageous! We all just tasted it first, and savored its apricot overtones, then kind of pulled our halibut apart and salted it and WOW!!!! the flavors of the fish just popped all over the mouth! Amazing. quite an experience.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
Head Chef

[quote=buckytom]
i still like to put worcestershire sauce on sliced early girls and celebrities. it's so good that after there's no tomato left, i sip the leftover tomato juice, mucilaginous seeds, and whatever else is left with the worcestershire sauce.
quote]

I just tried this tonight on my homegrown Ultra Sweet tomatoes, and it definitely has potential. But next time, it will be ONE splash of wooster on each slice, not TWO!

I also tried my newly-purchased fleur de sel on them - delish! I am fascinated by the way this salt seems to melt immediately when it hits the tomato, yet it maintains a crunchy, crystalline texture. Love it!

Thanks to all those who posted in this thread! My Brandywines are almost ready!

Lee

P.S. The Ultra Sweet is a beautiful variety. Each fruit is a baseball-sized, bright-red ball of juicy perfection. I saved seeds from a tomato that a co-worker gave me last year, and I highly recommend this variety!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I use Maldon Sea Salt and fleur de Sel only as the salts I've come to rely on for making the best of the dishes I cook!

Oh, I've just remembered - I've also got a salt from the Carmargue. Mind you, the supply has almost run out and it'll be a while before I intend to be in that area to replenish my supply!
Old 08-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Ive got brandywine,bloody butcher,brandy boy hybrid,tomande hybrid,bucks county hybrid,steak sandwich and cherokee purples growing in large containets in my 6X8 green house.The fruits are huge except the bloody butchers and should turn red real soon.It's a jungle in there and the plants are loaded my best effort yet.Im so excited as I have not tasted any of them before.It's my mission to find the best tomatoes to me and then just grow those.I got a salt sampler from SaltTradershttp://www.salttraders.com
I got a 4 pack sampler Sel Gris with seaweed
Danish Viking-Smoked Sea Salt
Peruvian Pink
Japanese Nazuna
Have yet to try them
Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
It's my mission to find the best tomatoes to me and then just grow those.
Please tell us which is/are your favorites when you've decided!

Lee