"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I love tomatoes and french bread, but not one who likes salts.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I got a 4 pack sampler Sel Gris with seaweed
Danish Viking-Smoked Sea Salt
Peruvian Pink
Japanese Nazuna
Have yet to try them
About four grains of that smoked salt on a thick half slice of Brandywine should knock your socks off. You'll smell it on your fingers for an hour afterwards. I really hope you have some fun with these and the tomatoes you are growing. It pleases me no end when anyone experiences something new and just has fun with it.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #23
Executive Chef

There are a whole bunch of salts I want to try but they get expensive I also have the Light Gray Celtic.Will let you know about the tomatoes.The reason Im doing this is the tomatoes you get these days have no flavor not like I remember like the ones you could get from farm stands when I was a kid.
It's an amazing feeling to grow something from a seed and grow it to something to eat,Im also trying to grow Jalapenos they are just starting to produce fruit.
So simple and yet amazing.At least to me.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #24
Head Chef

Atomic Buffalo Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Im also trying to grow Jalapenos they are just starting to produce fruit.
So simple and yet amazing.At least to me.
This is my second year growing jalapenos. Have you ever had Atomic Buffalo Turds, jpm? They are all the rage on BBQ forums, and deservedly so.

Slice jalapenos in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds (wear gloves!). Stuff each half with cream cheese and a half of a cocktail weiner. Wrap each stuffed half with half a slice of bacon, and grill until the bacon is crisp. Best grilled over charcoal and wood, but people rave about them even if they're done on a gas grill.

Lee
Old 08-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Ive had jalapenos like that but with out the meat.
I have revised my recipe still use the cream cheese but I add some grated sharp cheddar and some feta to the cream cheese and mix well.I think mixing some good gorganzola into cream cheese would be reall good as well.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #26
Head Chef

I just started eating a couple of my Brandywines and OMG are they great! They do live up to their billing - huge, juicy, sweet, meaty!

I saw a small jar of imported smoked salt at a farm stand this past weekend, and it was $15. Dark, almost black. Seemed too steep a price, even though it would probably last a long time.

I'll keep looking and stick with my fleur de sel in the meantime.

Lee
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Hmmmm.

I've gone back to growing heirlooms from seed this year, for the first time in 15 years, because I was hoping that the flavor of the tomatoes would make up for the pain in the butt that they are. Yes, they are huge, and the number of fruits on each plant is small, and I have some spectacularly mutant ones, but I am still hoping that the flavors of the Brandywine and Rutgers will knock my socks off.

You weren't impressed, bucky?

Maybe I'll try the fancy salts, then.

Lee
Well, I have ONE spectacularly mutant Brandywine, that I've been watching all summer. It was one mutant one, next to a normal one, and they fused.

Ready to eat now! But, first, I have to take it to work to amaze my co-workers and customers!

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mutant tomato, 2.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mutant tomato, 8-06.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1799  

Old 08-31-2006, 12:05 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Well I got a Tomande Hybrid,juicy,meaty but too sweet for me.The next one was a Cherokee Purple I let it ripen too so it was mushy ut loved the flavor.next will be a bucks county hybrid ,just now they are all starting to get color.so I will update, so far the tomande is way too sweet for me the cherokee is great just enough tang,I already know I like the brandywine.Will update as I go.Living at high altitude it takes a bit longer to get them to ripenn as the nights are pretty cold as low as 47 degrees.Will let you know about the steak sandwich and the others.I also have some tomatoes fusing together and the rest are huge except the bloody butchers and the tomandees.I want to try them all at once when they all ripen.So Im wondering what would be a good palate cleanser between them if I want to taste them all all once.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Bumping this thread to the top with the Summer season. Lucky me I get to use Heirlooms all year round. Heirloom tomatoes and finishing salts. A great combination but what else do you like to make with heirlooms?

From left to right: Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho with Avocado, Micro Greens, and a Sourdough Crisp; White Balsamic Marinated Heirloom Tomato with Blue Crab, Meyer Lemon, and Opal Basil; Heirloom Tomato "Consomme" with Spanish Olive Oil and Micro Shiso:

Old 06-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

IC that almost just got me to buy a one way ticket to Hawaii, just for those dishes!