"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

IC,
so great to see your picture. I would love to make each of the beautiful tomatoe recipes you've shared. They look and I know they taste like heaven..If you have some time would you please post for us.

kadesma

Old 06-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #32
Executive Chef

They're all fairly easy. The main key of course is the ingredients being used. Super fresh and/or very high quality. Here's the first one:

Heirloom Tomato Gazapcho

Yield: Approx. 64 oz.

Ingredients:

6 medium-large sized Brandywine Heirlooms, cored and cut into chunks
2 Japanese Cucumbers, peeled, and cut into chunks
2 cloves fresh Garlic, smashed
1 Jalapeno, seeds removed
1/2 cup loosely packed Cilantro
2 Tbsp. Lime Juice
1 tsp. Cumin
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher Salt to taste
Cayenne or Tabasco to taste
Avocado, sliced
Micro Greens for garnish

Method:

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients up to the olive oil (you may need to do this in two batches or half the recipe unless you have a Vitamix). Puree until smooth. Pass through a chinois to get out the skins and seeds. Season to taste with kosher salt, and add cayenne or tabasco if desired and chill.

To serve, place sliced avocado on the bottom of a soup bowl or cup. Ladle the gazpacho over the avocado and top with the micro greens. The sourdough crisp might be hard to duplicate at home if you don't have a silpats and a meat slicer. You can just serve crostini if you like.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Here's the second. You can substitute the blue crab with dungeness or peekytoe as well.

Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes with Blue Crab

Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients:

8-10 FIRM assorted Heirloom tomatoes (Brandywine, Big Rainbow, Jubilee, etc.)
1 cup White Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup EVOO
2 Shallots, finely minced
2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, finely minced
2 Tbsp. Fresh Tarragon, finely minced
Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste

8 oz. Blue Crab
2 Tbsp. Meyer Lemon
4 Tbsp. EVOO
Kosher Salt to taste
Micro Opal Basil for garnish

Method:

Prepare a pot of boiling water and a bowl of ice water. Make an X on the bottom of each tomato and submerge in the boiling water for about 45 seconds-1 minute. Remove and immediately transfer to the ice water bath. When cool (should only take a minute, don't leave the tomatoes in there that long), remove from the ice water and peel the skins.

Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade except for the salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify and season to taste. Cut the tomatoes into 4-8 wedges depending on the size, and marinate for 2-3 hours. Remove from marinade and taste. Add more kosher salt or finishing salt just before plating if needed.

Combine the Meyer Lemon juice and EVOO and whisk. Add just enough to the crab meat to coat it but do not saturate. Season with kosher salt and toss. Taste and add more salt/dressing if needed. Serve atop the marinated tomatoes and garnish with micro opal basil.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Part three is probably not going to be duplicated at home unless you have a lot of overripe heirlooms. The only reason why I made this out of heirloom was because they were too soft to serve on their own.

Heirloom Tomato "Consomme" (basically, tomato water)

Yield: Approx. 1 Quart

Ingredients:

6 lbs. Heirloom Tomato, cored and cut into chunks
1 Tbsp. Kosher Salt

Kosher salt to taste
HIGH quality EVOO
Micro Shiso

Method:

Using a stand or immersion blender, puree the tomatoes with the 1 Tbsp. salt until smooth (the salt will help extract the liquid). Transfer the puree to a chinios or collander lined with 3 layers of cheesecloth, with the chinois/collander over a deep bain marie or container large enough to fit it. There should be enough clearance that the bottom of the chinios will not touch the liquid that will drip out. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until the liquid is extracted. DO NOT PUSH OR FORCE the liquid out or else the tomato water will become cloudy. When the all of the liquid has been extracted, discard the solids and strain if needed.

To serve, place about 1 oz. of tomato water in a shot glass. Float a little EVOO on top of the liquid (you only need about 4-5 drops), and garnish with 2-3 leaves of micro shiso (you can use micro basil if you can find the micro shiso).
Old 06-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #35
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
IC, that looks deeee-licious! I'll have one of that, please.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:35 AM   #36
Executive Chef

We had a lot of tomatoes to burn still, so another batch went into the blender for gazpacho and more went into some fresh marinade. I don't like doing exactly the same thing twice though so it got changed up a bit. This time I used a Hawaiian Red Salt called Alaea on the tomatoes:

I also paired the crab with the gazpacho and incorporated some candied baby beets with the salad. The beets were candied with Elderflower instead of simple syrup to give it a really distinct taste. The bread crisp with the salad is rye. Bon appetit!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you IC,
I can't of course duplicate the crisps and doing the consomme will have to wait til I can get my hands on some soft heirlooms, which I can do later from a neighbor who grows many and sells them,but also has a garden full of different heirlooms to pick from...I'll make some parmesan crisps and see if that works for something to serve with the soup. Thanks again. I love seeing your pictures.

kadesma
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Here's the second. You can substitute the blue crab with dungeness or peekytoe as well.

Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes with Blue Crab

Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients:

8-10 FIRM assorted Heirloom tomatoes (Brandywine, Big Rainbow, Jubilee, etc.)
1 cup White Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup EVOO
2 Shallots, finely minced
2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, finely minced
2 Tbsp. Fresh Tarragon, finely minced
Kosher Salt to taste

8 oz. Blue Crab
2 Tbsp. Meyer Lemon
4 Tbsp. EVOO
Kosher Salt to taste
Micro Opal Basil for garnish

Method:

Prepare a pot of boiling water and a bowl of ice water. Make an X on the bottom of each tomato and submerge in the boiling water for about 45 seconds-1 minute. Remove and immediately transfer to the ice water bath. When cool (should only take a minute, don't leave the tomatoes in there that long), remove from the ice water and peel the skins.

Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade except for the salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify and season to taste. Cut the tomatoes into 4-8 wedges depending on the size, and marinate for 2-3 hours. Remove from marinade and taste. Add more kosher salt or finishing salt just before plating if needed.

Combine the Meyer Lemon juice and EVOO and whisk. Add just enough to the crab meat to coat it but do not saturate. Season with kosher salt and toss. Taste and add more salt/dressing if needed. Serve atop the marinated tomatoes and garnish with micro opal basil.
Thanks, IC! This will definitely be served at Chez Julia this summer!