Salty Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not willing to discount their testimony until I have tried it for myself!!
I could not agree more. Who cares what the science says when all that matters is what your taste tells you. If everything in the world says something should not work, yet you feel it works for you then hey it works for you. Great. Keep doing it. This is exactly why I have tried the potato trick. So that I was able to come to my own conclusion. And my conclusion, for me, is that I did not notice a difference at all.

My father is a college graduate and a retired airline DC-10 captain. He made a living and kept hundreds of thousands of people safe by always being right.

While my parents and I periodically gather around the kitchen table and my mother begins reminiscing about past holidays and special memories, she will sometimes preface her story my mentioning the year, month or season that the event took place. If it's not according to how my father remembers it, he'll interrupt and correct her. Sometimes in a slightly condescending manner because she's gotten the story wrong.

Is he technically correct? Possibly, and perhaps even likely, but is he right? Does interrupting a story where that kind of detail makes no difference to the point at hand, and hurting my mother's feelings, make him right? No, of course not! He may be correct technically, but wrong in a moral way of dealing with someone he's supposed to care about.

Does a potato absorb salt from a pot of salty soup? Is it a real fix or a placebo? Or does it even matter?

GB: That is an interesting article and it seems like the science was probably pretty good. But it also demonstrates that that some times scientists get so locked up with the science that they forget commom sense.

Being a scientist in training, oh boy can I back that one up... ;)

And the OP hasn't been back to tell us what kind of soup it is either. If its a dry mix then there is a simple solution, if its homemade we have a bunch of other options available. Think he/she will be back after this 3 page debate? LOL! :rolleyes:

In my opinion, the only way to rescue the soup and keep it tasting the way the recipe intended is the same whether it is a dried soup mix or a liquid soup. You need to make a second batch but leave out the salt. Combine the two. You might not need to do it 1:1. It will depend on how overly salty the original is.

In my opinion, the only way to rescue the soup and keep it tasting the way the recipe intended is the same whether it is a dried soup mix or a liquid soup. You need to make a second batch but leave out the salt. Combine the two. You might not need to do it 1:1. It will depend on how overly salty the original is.
If its a dry mix, then you can't make another batch and have it be less salty. You need to either dilute the salt or alter it with something else to make it less concentrated. (Add tomato juice, etc etc)
Homemade soup is different, you can make a new batch of stock WITHOUT the salt then combine the two.

Alix I was assuming the OP was talking about a homemade dry mix. If he was talking about store bought then I agree with you.

My apologies GB and others. I was out of line.
I shall remember to always take things here with the proverbial grain of salt.
Just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for others, and should
they disagree in a way that seems somewhat demeaning toward me, I shall
remember that some people just come across as sarcastic and superior, even if
they do not mean to, or whatever.

When it comes to the net, cooking talk can sometimes get burning hot and dangerous, huh? I will be sure to stay cool and collected!

dont add salt until you serve it; i never add salt to soups or cooking in general, as i feel it's a very individual thing; let people add their own
other than that, yes a raw potato can help

After reading the article referenced by GB and the comments on osmossis by Uncle Bob, it looks like my understanding of the process may be flawed. Going to have to go back to the text books and see if I can do a little more reading to get a better picture of what is actually happening.

And, of course a taste test will be in order to see how the process works (or not) for me.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom