"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've gotten to the point where I have to be desperate to go out - I've turned into a food snob for my own cooking.
There is nothing wrong with that, I agree, I like my cooking much more than most local restaurants. We do normally go out at least once a week with friends, its normally between 4-8 people and we alternate between restaurants, since some of us live in Connecticut and New York others in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, so we try to alternate locations and it gives us a chance to try new things.
I will say that there are some restaurants that just do everything right and I would NOT be able to cook like them, there is a restaurant in New York we go to called Eleven Madison Park and I can honestly say the 7 or 8 times we have gone there it was amazing each time {although its like $250 a person, lol}, and I could NOT cook like them. There is a big difference between good and perfect...

Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
...we go to called Eleven Madison Park and I can honestly say the 7 or 8 times we have gone there it was amazing each time {although its like $250 a person, lol}, and I could NOT cook like them. There is a big difference between good and perfect...
Sweetie, $250, is my food expenditure for 3+ weeks for the two of us. ;-) I'm thrilled Himself is pleased with "good".

Old 01-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Sweetie, $250, is my food expenditure for 3+ weeks for the two of us. ;-) I'm thrilled Himself is pleased with "good".
If I could get $250 to pay for 1 week of our food in this house I would buy a new 650i, My kids eat like little horses, my wife is a vegan with expensive taste, and I am addicted to overcooking....

We entertain and eat at restaurants a lot, my wife added up what it cost us just in "party food and drinks" for 2013, it was almost $25K!!! Sickening, I know and I make a ton of stuff myself we don't buy premade breads, pastas, etc.. My wife makes our own laundry detergent, lotions, soaps {except mine I use Mistral sandalwood bamboo, I am addicted to that too, be soap EVER made, its amazing}, pajamas, hats, etc... Although, I have added up what it costs her to make a pair of pajama pants and I could buy them from target cheaper for some reason, that is really sad, but we will save that for another post...

But seriously, I know $250 {actually I just looked it up its $225} is a lot of money for dinner for 1 person, but its not all the time and I like getting a hotel in the city, getting all dressed up and going to a fancy restaurant, mostly because I love seeing my wife in little black sparkly dresses with tall high heels and wearing enough diamonds to buy a 3 bedroom condo ...

And like my grandfather used to say "You can't take it with ya and you can only give so much away before goblins come and eat you in your sleep" he had a lot of good sayings another good one was "after your done playing chess the pawns go in the same box as the king"...
Old 01-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I think/ hope we all live within our budgets, and some of us have more to go around than others. Anywhere on the scale is ok for yourself.

I think we go out more than we used to, and only once in a great while is it a "splurge" occasion. I'm perfectly happy with that.

I think the original theme of this thread includes value, which is not the same as actual cost as much as well prepared food. Both contribute to a good dining experience.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Cooking4to, no one really cares what you spend on anything, but mentioning all of your very expensive food, hobbies, a vacation home in Italy, etc., day after day does get old and is insensitive to many people who live on tight budgets. You might consider toning it down a bit.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
"after your done playing chess the pawns go in the same box as the king"...

Great quote!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #17
Head Chef

I consider us lucky. We now live in a tiny farm town out on the Colorado plains. We have one restaurant/bar in town, and lucky to have that (aside from that we have a post office, bank, community center and town hall - the Co-op has a single gas pump with 4 diesel and 2 gasoline nozzles). The restaurant is open 4 days a week, Wednesday through Saturday, serving lunch and dinner. I don't know how late the bar stays open, I've never been there past about 9 PM.

Anyway, the owner is always the dinner cook. He has help but he does most of the cooking for the dinner seating. The food is always good - not fancy, but good. He is a former meatcutter, he buys meat locally and cuts all of his own steaks. You won't find a better steak for twice the price. Saturday's dinner special is prime rib, and it's outstanding, as good as I've ever had anywhere. This is the only restaurant I've ever eaten at in Colorado with Walleyed Pike on the menu. They seat mostly by reservation on Friday and Saturday, and if you don't have a reservation, it can easily be an hour and a half wait for a table.

I've never seen any inconsistency in the taste or quality of the food served. It's always good, plentiful, and the place is busy for every meal they serve. It's nice to have a place like this that we can depend on just 4 blocks from the house. We can drink in the bar, eat dinner, then walk home with no worries about drinking and driving.

P.S. They also serve an excellent Rocky Mountain Oyster (it's the Wednesday dinner special), with both regular and spicy (Balls o' Fire) on the appetizer menu.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

In my area, restaurants really seem to struggle, unless they're some crappy chain like Applebee's. Higher-quality establishments in particular.

I think sometimes you get places that start out really strong and make a great first impression, but the business doesn't take off like they hope, so over time they start to cut corners to bring costs down. Discerning customers aren't fooled.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Cooking4to, no one really cares what you spend on anything, but mentioning all of your very expensive food, hobbies, a vacation home in Italy, etc., day after day does get old and is insensitive to many people who live on tight budgets. You might consider toning it down a bit.
I worked hard to get where I am, I am not going to be ashamed of it, I always love hearing about people that do well {in anyway}, you wouldn't yell at the tv when watching house hunters and someones budget is $3m? It takes all kinds, if my comments make someone uncomfortable maybe that is something they have to deal with about themselves...

I am not judging anyone, I am just being myself, I don't think I should have to hide my belongings, I like sharing my experiences with others, I am sorry it makes you uncomfortable, I truly am, I am just a regular guy that worked hard to build a company that a larger one came along and paid me well for, I respect my good fortune and GIVE back much more than anyone ever gave me, for you to judge me and accuse me of being "insensitive" is wrong.

I used to live in a $400 a month apartment with 2 kids before I was 20 years old, if you shadow your world to not see what else is out there you will grow old in the dark, my friend...

I do sincerely apologize if my posts annoy or make anyone uncomfortable, I am sorry, but please do not take it as I am trying to put someone down, I WOULD NEVER judge anyone for what they own or spend on food, that is non sense, "stuff" is just that, don't let what anyone has effect what you think of them for better or worse. I pride myself on being a good person, I will be staying up all night tonight with my cell phone next to me in case someone needs me, after the blizzard is over me and my 2 teenage sons will be out with shovels helping people that cant afford to or cant physically help themselves, I organised a drive that bought 300 turkeys on thanksgiving, broke 2 of my toes delivering 1 to a 3rd floor apartment this year!!! So please do not tell me "no one really cares" because that is insensitive...

I have a feeling this will get erased by a mod , but I hope no one was offended by me sharing on this sight, I am retired and have been home A LOT. I would have never sold my company, some family issues arose and taught me that time with my family is much more important than making a little "more". I have met some interesting people in a short time, but I am not so attached as to stick around somewhere I am not wanted...

PS I know a lot of people doing a lot better than me, my neighbor just bought a 2 million dollar boat, we are members in another forum {audio equipment} and he posted pics of his boat, no one was offended and there are all types of people on that site too...
Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Great quote!
He was full of them, sadly he passed at 58 and my kids didn't get to know him like I did. I swear I remember every word he ever said to me..

Tags
chef