"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Executive Chef

San Marzano vs San Marzano?

I got into a little debate regarding San Marzano tomatoes.
I am using the Nina brand that Costco sells. (hey Craig you out there).

Turns out I read an article on San Marzano tomatoes and how to tell if you are actually getting San Marzanos.

https://www.tastecooking.com/fake-rolex-canned-tomatoes

So, I go and look at my can of Nina. And then find another Nina label on the internet. Whats the deal here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nina-san-marzano.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	28207  
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Difficult to determine if any can, regardless of label, could be a fraud. I buy Pastene, not a nation brand. Their SM tomato cans have all kinds of stamps, seals and serial numbers. They taste great and cost almost $5.00 a can. I have no idea if they're legit.

They also have a 'San Marzano Style' tomato that's much cheaper and still tastes great.

My advice. Buy a tomato that tastes good and don't worry about the labels.

I look for a canned whole tomato that's not super acidic. When making a tomato sauce I always add tomato paste and sauté it so it's natural sweetness offsets the acidity of the tomato. I refuse to add sugar to tomato sauce.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I'm just trying to settle a debate. I love the Nina SM.
But I am curious if they are indeed true SM's.

I bought another brand of supposed SM fire roasted made by Muir. These are not as good as the Nina and I could tell immediately after opening the can. They were good, but I had to pick out membranes and under ripe pieces.

Costco also used to sell the 1 gallon crushed Nina SM.
The article says that real SM's don't come crushed.
Thanks Andy
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

If it has the D.O.P. , it's the real thing from Italy.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Executive Chef

No DOP on the Nina. Take a good look at the can not the label.
It says "San Marzano Region"

I'm next going to Costco. Just to know. I already love the tomatoes
Thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I'm just trying to settle a debate. I love the Nina SM.
But I am curious if they are indeed true SM's.

I bought another brand of supposed SM fire roasted made by Muir. These are not as good as the Nina and I could tell immediately after opening the can. They were good, but I had to pick out membranes and under ripe pieces.

Costco also used to sell the 1 gallon crushed Nina SM.
The article says that real SM's don't come crushed.
Thanks Andy
It's my understanding that San Marzano is a variety of tomato which originated in or around Marzano, Italy. As such, there may be two things going on. The variety and the location in which it is grown. I'm sure the area would like you to believe theirs is the one true SM tomato, and therefore superior, which may or not be true.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
It's my understanding that San Marzano is a variety of tomato which originated in or around Marzano, Italy. As such, there may be two things going on. The variety and the location in which it is grown. I'm sure the area would like you to believe theirs is the one true SM tomato, and therefore superior, which may or not be true.
What originally made a real San Marzano tomato better is the volcanic soil that the plants grow in, near the base of Mount Vesuvius.

Today, the seeds of the San Marzano tomato are grown in other places, but to be called a San Marzano tomato, it has to come from that particular region, much like Champagne must come from the Champagne region of France, or it is not real Champagne.

The D.O.P on the label is the only way you know if a can of tomatoes is truly San Marzano tomatoes. Similar products will be labeled "San Marzano Style," or something like that.

CD
Old 10-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I read another article where the Consorzio tells the story.
I guess its like Parmesan Regiano. Where its like some law or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
What originally made a real San Marzano tomato better is the volcanic soil that the plants grow in, near the base of Mount Vesuvius.
Today, the seeds of the San Marzano tomato are grown in other places, but to be called a San Marzano tomato, it has to come from that particular region, much like Champagne must come from the Champagne region of France, or it is not real Champagne.
The D.O.P on the label is the only way you know if a can of tomatoes is truly San Marzano tomatoes. Similar products will be labeled "San Marzano Style," or something like that.
CD
I wonder what Costco has to say about this. The label is decieving. Says it's from the SM region and well, you can see the can above.
The other side of the can is in Italian.
Also if it helps, there is a couple whole basil leaves in each can. Raw basil leaves. I could do without basil. If I want basil I can add it myself. But good stuff it is. I will lose this debate, but I still have my Costco Nina tomatoes.
They used to sell a gallon can of them crushed. This is also supposed to be wrong. No crushed or diced SM tomatoes supposedly.

I knew the people here would be a great resource. Wheres Craig and my girl GG?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I noticed that year's ago simply by price comparison. The real D.O.P. San Marzanos were much more expensive than other so-called and equally labelled San Marzanos. Muir Glen included.

The difference in taste was much more obvious.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I look for a canned whole tomato that's not super acidic. When making a tomato sauce I always add tomato paste and sauté it so it's natural sweetness offsets the acidity of the tomato. I refuse to add sugar to tomato sauce.
I didn't know this Andy. How can you determine if a brand of tomatoes is less acidic and can you give me an idea of the ratio of T.paste to canned tomatoes that you use? I also refuse to add sugar to tomatoes.
TIA

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote