Sandwich tricks???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess this could be called a trick.

I like to add potato chips to the sandwich. Not with but in the sandwich as a topping between the bread with all the other goodies. :yum:

Chips on the side aren't the same thing. :chef:

Fries on the burger are also good. Chips would work if you don't have fries ;)

I can't believe Chief didn't mention grilled PB&J! Make a PB& J how you like it, but on the heavier side of the pb & j. Use real, salted butter and grill until golden.

I love Havarti, fresh ripe tomato, a bit of salt, pepper and dill. Then grill the whole thing. Cucumbers make a good addition or substitution for the tomatoes too.

Another favorite is Turkey with avocado, tomato, cucumber, havarti or gouda and roasted red pepper aioli. Smash the ripe avocado onto one side (easiest if the bread is toasted or you smash first) and put the aioli on the other slice. Some fresh cracked black pepper finishes it off nicely. Really, I love anything with roasted red pepper aioli.

I love love love freshly made garlic aioli on sandwiches, especially with italian meats. Crush a garlic clove or two in a mortar and pestle with a pinch of Kosher salt and grind to a paste. Mix in 1-2 egg yolks and then slowly drizzle in EVOO, mixing vigorously, making sure all oil is emusified before adding more. The oil amount varies by recipe and by taste, but anywhere from 1/3 to 1 cup per yolk usually works for me. After all the oil is emulsified, mix in a squeeze or two of lemon juice to taste. Add more salt if needed. It is richer when done by hand but still delicious and infinitely easier in a blender. Even with a blender though, I always crush the garlic to a smooth paste first.

Finally, avocado, cream cheese and green onion mixed together make an excellent spread for wraps or sandwiches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Last edited:
A cuke and tomato on basil roll, this is easy, cucumber and tomato marinaded in balsamic oil and vinegar with some fresh buff mozz. ...

I love balsamic marinated tomatoes on sandwiches! I like to add a little basil and crushed garlic to the marinade. If I have a crowd, I'll buy a baguette or two, cut in half, and top one side with Italian meats, then the marinated tomatoes and provalone. I top the other side with baby spinach and put the whole thing under the broiler. When the spinach is wilted and the cheese bubbly, I pull it out, drizzle with some of the marinade, put it together and slice into individual servings. I'm a sour-lover, so I usually have some of the marinade on the side for dipping too.

I love balsamic marinated tomatoes on sandwiches! I like to add a little basil and crushed garlic to the marinade. If I have a crowd, I'll buy a baguette or two, cut in half, and top one side with Italian meats, then the marinated tomatoes and provalone. I top the other side with baby spinach and put the whole thing under the broiler. When the spinach is wilted and the cheese bubbly, I pull it out, drizzle with some of the marinade, put it together and slice into individual servings. I'm a sour-lover, so I usually have some of the marinade on the side for dipping too.

That sounds scrumptious! I love sour flavors, too.

I guess this could be called a trick.

I like to add potato chips to the sandwich. Not with but in the sandwich as a topping between the bread with all the other goodies. :yum:

Chips on the side aren't the same thing. :chef:

Fries on the burger are also good. Chips would work if you don't have fries ;)

So are crispy fried onion rings. :ohmy: :yum:
btw, I've layered potato chips on sammies too....yum. :yum:

Lots of good ideas here. :yum: I love sandwiches.

Someone mentioned hummus - I love hummus in pita bread, it's my go to for sammies lately. I live alone and when I buy a package of pita bread I need to use it up. I love tuna, egg salad, and chicken salad in pita.

I make a BLAST sometimes for dinner - bacon, lettuce, avocado, sprouts, and tomato. :yum: I usually chop everything up, and put it on the bread or in pita...otherwise, it's too tall for me to bite into. :ermm: :LOL:

I LOVE smoked salmon, chopped cucumber, sprouts, and green onion mixed with cream cheese and spread on an onion bagel. YUM

I could go on and on... :yum::LOL:

Lots of good ideas here. :yum: I love sandwiches.

Someone mentioned hummus - I love hummus in pita bread, it's my go to for sammies lately. I live alone and when I buy a package of pita bread I need to use it up. I love tuna, egg salad, and chicken salad in pita.

I make a BLAST sometimes for dinner - bacon, lettuce, avocado, sprouts, and tomato. :yum: I usually chop everything up, and put it on the bread or in pita...otherwise, it's too tall for me to bite into. :ermm: :LOL:

I LOVE smoked salmon, chopped cucumber, sprouts, and green onion mixed with cream cheese and spread on an onion bagel. YUM

I could go on and on... :yum::LOL:

You could make pita chips with some of the bread. It lasts longer when it's baked crispy. I like to spray it with olive oil spray, sprinkle with Penzey's Mural of Flavor, and bake at 350F for about 8 minutes till crispy. Great with any kind of dip.

Love the sound of BLAST!

Oh yes....baked pita chips. I love them, and never thought to sprinkle them with Mural of Flavor. Sounds like a great seasoning for pita. Which reminds me.....I'm almost out of that, Arizona Dreaming, and peppercorns. Time to place another Penzey's order. :LOL:

Try a BLAST sometime, GG, you'll love it! :yum:

A scrumptious recipe is to cut pitta bread in half widthways (giving 2 pockets)....spread with hummus, and top with grated carrot, mustard & cress and grapes.

Instead of butter on bread, I often spread french mustard (goes with roast beef slices or pastrami), or mayo mixed with some pesto. Also a mashed avocado is a great substitute e.g. with a BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato combo)

Peanut butter and banana or redcurrant jelly

Malt loaf slices with cream cheese

This is my favorite sandwich for a picnic. It would work great for a party, too. Ingredients can be changed up to suit your taste.

Dressing
5 tbsp evoo
2-3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.

1 baguette
3 slices Havarti cheese, cut in half
1 whole roasted red pepper, sliced
1/2 roasted chicken breast, sliced
1 cup baby greens

Slice baguette lengthwise. Remove some of the bread from the inside of the loaf. Spread both sides of the bread with the vinaigrette. Layer the remaining ingredients in the order given and put the top half of the bread on top.

Cut into 4-5 pieces. Wrap each piece tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before serving.

Last edited:
Here is an idea. I make panini sandwich's and cut them into 1" fingers. You can make them with all sorts of fillings and serve hot or cold.

39817-albums888-picture5622.jpg
[/IMG]

A deluxe style 'sandwich' is a hollowed out loaf filled with goodies (e.g. spread with pesto, then lined with roasted peppers, sliced cheese, tomato, salami/pastrami etc) with lid put back on. Left overnight with a heavy weight on it.

Next day it can be then sliced revealing a wondrous layered delight. Would be great for a picnic. I am sure most have seen various recipes for this.

Last edited:
A deluxe style 'sandwich' is a hollowed out loaf filled with goodies (e.g. spread with pesto, then lined with roasted peppers, sliced cheese, tomato, salami/pastrami etc) with lid put back on. Left overnight with a heavy weight on it.

Next day it can be then sliced revealing a wondrous layered delight. Would be great for a picnic. I am sure most have seen various recipes for this.

A NOLA favorite:

Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe | Nola Cuisine

I made me and the boys {my sons} sandwiches for lunch. We were out helping a few local families that don't have the ability to clear their driveways get that done after the snow this morning. I asked my sons if they wanted to stop somewhere for lunch, since they shoveled their butts off while I was warm in the truck plowing. They came to the conclusion they would rather make sandwiches at home...

So we got home I sliced up some Belgioso provolone and some dry pepper roasted brisket {AKA pastrami}. I had a few lbs of dough in the fridge so I made some fast oven baked flat breads {just sheet the dough thin, spray with garlic/olive oil, then put in a hot oven on a hot stove and when you see bubbles pat them down takes 2 minutes each side depending how thin you get them...}

Heated the pastrami and chz on a skillet, then plopped it ontop of the hot flat bread, with some homemade mustard sauce {oldest son gets spicy youngest gets honey, I do a bit of each}... I also heated up some onion soup from last night...

It was good and I have to say I love that my sons wanted to come home and have me cook for them vs. go to a restaurant, I am sure it had a lot to do with being, cold, wet and tired, BUT I WILL TAKE IT, lol...

Thaks for all the replies, there are some awesome ideas in here...

Homemade brown bread/buttered slices/good/homemade Thousand Island salad dressing/micro-thin across the grain slices of cold ribeye steak/micro-thin slices of red onion/homemade Gray Poupon mustard/micro-thin slices of homemade Kosher dill pickle/S&P.
When I can I use elk ribeye in place of beef.

Back
Top Bottom