"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #31
Head Chef

Here is an idea. I make panini sandwich's and cut them into 1" fingers. You can make them with all sorts of fillings and serve hot or cold.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #32
Head Chef

A deluxe style 'sandwich' is a hollowed out loaf filled with goodies (e.g. spread with pesto, then lined with roasted peppers, sliced cheese, tomato, salami/pastrami etc) with lid put back on. Left overnight with a heavy weight on it.

Next day it can be then sliced revealing a wondrous layered delight. Would be great for a picnic. I am sure most have seen various recipes for this.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
A deluxe style 'sandwich' is a hollowed out loaf filled with goodies (e.g. spread with pesto, then lined with roasted peppers, sliced cheese, tomato, salami/pastrami etc) with lid put back on. Left overnight with a heavy weight on it.

Next day it can be then sliced revealing a wondrous layered delight. Would be great for a picnic. I am sure most have seen various recipes for this.
A NOLA favorite:

Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe | Nola Cuisine
Old 01-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I made me and the boys {my sons} sandwiches for lunch. We were out helping a few local families that don't have the ability to clear their driveways get that done after the snow this morning. I asked my sons if they wanted to stop somewhere for lunch, since they shoveled their butts off while I was warm in the truck plowing. They came to the conclusion they would rather make sandwiches at home...

So we got home I sliced up some Belgioso provolone and some dry pepper roasted brisket {AKA pastrami}. I had a few lbs of dough in the fridge so I made some fast oven baked flat breads {just sheet the dough thin, spray with garlic/olive oil, then put in a hot oven on a hot stove and when you see bubbles pat them down takes 2 minutes each side depending how thin you get them...}

Heated the pastrami and chz on a skillet, then plopped it ontop of the hot flat bread, with some homemade mustard sauce {oldest son gets spicy youngest gets honey, I do a bit of each}... I also heated up some onion soup from last night...

It was good and I have to say I love that my sons wanted to come home and have me cook for them vs. go to a restaurant, I am sure it had a lot to do with being, cold, wet and tired, BUT I WILL TAKE IT, lol...

Thaks for all the replies, there are some awesome ideas in here...
Old 01-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #35
Head Chef

Stuffed Picnic Loaf Recipe Ideas - Healthy & Easy Recipes (houseandgarden.co.uk)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Homemade brown bread/buttered slices/good/homemade Thousand Island salad dressing/micro-thin across the grain slices of cold ribeye steak/micro-thin slices of red onion/homemade Gray Poupon mustard/micro-thin slices of homemade Kosher dill pickle/S&P.
When I can I use elk ribeye in place of beef.

Tags
sandwich