"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Sandwich tricks???

I love sandwich tricks, I make a lot of sandwiches. When we are bringing a dish to a cookout I always do a platter of 3-6 kinds of finger sandwiches.

I do a seafood salad on a plain roll {I make all different rolls for each sandwich},
my seafood salad is easy, mini shrimp, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 miracle whip 1/2 hellmans real mayo, imitation crab meat, celery, and scallions.

Then a Tuna on a spinach roll, tuna is simple again 1/2 m.m. and half real mayo, then some onions cut as small as I can get them, and italian bread crumbs, the trick to tuna is getting ALL the moisture out, I find if you buy the larger cans you get better tuna, the small cans gets you junk, the large can you get a whole piece of fish.

Shaved roast beef and cream cheese on garlic roll, this is a favorite of everyone, its basically a rare roast beef {I roast and slice my own, but for cookouts, I will just buy boars head band rare rb}, I mix 1/2 mascarpone and 1/2 philly cream cheese, then put roast beef and slice a nice firm tomato for it...

A cuke and tomato on basil roll, this is easy, cucumber and tomato marinaded in balsamic oil and vinegar with some fresh buff mozz.

I also do a chicken salad, which is the toughest one, I roast an entire deboned chicken, then shred it, and mix it with mayo, 1/2 mayo mix, brown sugar, celery salt, garlic powder, and onion powder, sometimes I will add celery, bell peppers, onions, whole tiny cherry tomatoes, ect it depends on what looks good at the market...

I am always looking for more sandwich recipes for the arsenal, do any of you have a never fail that i can incorporate? Thanks If anyone wants more specific recipes message me.. I do most of it by eye and taste, but have some good starting points...

Cooking4to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Sous Chef
I like hummus sandwiches.

no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Ham salad or egg salad. I like to add thin slices green pepper and slivers of jalapeno pepper crisp lettuce and tomatoes slices when in season.

Egg Salad on pumpernickel. or skip the jalapeno and add tarragon.

Sliced chicken, bacon, tomato ettuce smoked gouda, sliced pears or avocado,

Brie, thin slices pear, red onion

Make a Caesar salad, sliced grilled chicken, tomatoes

Good old peanut butter and bacon and lettuce.

Who needs the rest of the picnic if you have good sandwiches.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
My current go-to condiment for sandwiches is pickled red onions. Absolutely delicious on pulled pork and sliders.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My current go-to condiment for sandwiches is pickled red onions. Absolutely delicious on pulled pork and sliders.
Excellent on several Mexican dishes, including Tortas!
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Excellent on several Mexican dishes, including Tortas!

Yes! That's how I "discovered" them! (Confession, I've been eating them straight from the jar too...)
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 AM   #7
Master Chef
Turkey/bacon/avocado slices on an eggy style bread, like Challah or Brioche. If you add cheese, a creamy kind like Havarti is very nice.

Roast beast sandwiches are good with a Boursin-style cheese. I also make a spread with a combo of real mayo/horseradish/Dijon-style mustard that works great with beef. Or ham. Or pretty much anything.

In your tuna salad, substitute finely minced shallot for the onion. It's a subtly different improvement. I pretty much macerate the shallot in my mini-processor.

I've made chicken salad with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts and a bit of garam masala seasoning. Oddly enough, Himself actually likes this way better than my other favorite. It combines chunks of cooked chicken with green grapes and sliced almonds with a dash of cinnamon. Either of those are great on croissants. Substitute sour cream or Greek yogurt for half of the mayo you would use to make these.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Head Chef
When the daughter was in school she would go on periods of one kind for awhile, like ham and cheese for a couple of weeks then she would want just PBJ or turkey for a week or 2
to liven them up I would use cookie cutters to make different shapes. flowers, hearts, snowman etc.
Little sandwiches are a great idea, especially when kids are involved as they might not want what others are having or might have a picky eater. What kid doesn't like a shaped sandwich.
Thanks cooking4to for the idea
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Head Chef
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I like hummus sandwiches.
Hummus is the first thing I thought of when I read this post. Love it on turkey sandwiches.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Brie, bacon and grape or apple

Brie and grape on walnut sourdough bread (or ordinary bread with walnuts as part of the filling).

Peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, whichever you prefer) and grated/shredded carrot on mixed grain bread (don't knock it 'til you've tried it.)

Cold roast pork with apple sauce.

Good cheddar with fruit chutney or pickles.

Tuna and caper spread - canned tuna, butter, lemon juice and capers mashed together and sandwiched with lettuce, tomato and cucumber on wholewheat, mixed grain or other interesting bread

I like avocado on my chicken salad *sarnies. (Probably not very practical if you are making them in advance because of discolouration.)

(* Liverpool slang for sandwiches)

Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote