Santarpios Pizza - Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema said:
I bet we can agree on Santarpio's pizza! :chef:

You eat at that place?!:huh:
I used to, but not any more.:ohmy:

Yes, GB, Calphalon also makes a stainless steel cookware set, but I don't like the style of it. It looks kind of ugly!:ermm:

~Corey123.

I'm learning a Lot Since I'm in the Culinary Arts Training Coarse.

jennyema said:
Yes!

Please don't tell me the MAYOR'S FOOD COURT is why you don't go there! :sick:

1. No. A friend and I have stopped eating there long before I knew that the place was cited by the City of Boston for health code / sanitary violations. But I was not in the least bit surprised that they might have been then!

2. The veggie pizza that I had had soggy crust from the canned green peppers that they use, and the peppers themselves were in giant pieces. A good pizzaria uses ALL-FRESH VEGGIES - nothing canned except the tomatoes for the sauce.

3. The men's room was fillthy and reeked of an ammonia-like urine smell. As if they allow drunken bums to go in there and use the urinal and toilet as they please whenever they please, p***ing all over the place. Most of the tiles are loose and coming up from the floor and the floor itself is weak and squeaky. And if the men's room smells like that, then I'm pretty certain that the ladies' room isn't too far behind!

4. The place is dirty, dusty and musky-smelling.

5. The equipment is unsafe & unsanitary. Their food prep tools, cookware & eating utensils sholuld be washed in a wash water temp of at least 150 to 165 degrees. The machine's rinse water temp should be no lower than 180 degrees to kill all germs and bacteria on the eating utensils. If not, which I don't think it is, then that's definitely a sanitary / health code violation right there.

6. And since I've started being trained in a Culinary Arts program for a possible good-paying job as a certified Safe Serve cook, I've learned quite a bit, so far, about food-borne illnesses, pathogens, dieases, food-borne illness outbreaks as a result of carelessness, sanitation, health code violations, improper cold storage of foods, and time & temperature abuse.

And who in God's creation knows if their meat supply is from a very reliable source? Or their dry / canned goods for that matter? Food safety begins with receiving it at the door - all the way from that, to an in-house inspection to make sure that there is no spoiled food or broken containers, proper cold storage of it, to prepping it to cooking it, to holding it at the proper hot temp for serving, right up to reheating it and keeping it hot again.

7. And this eatery has been cited for some of those violations. I'm willing to bet that they don't even have a handwash sink in the kitchen which is also required by law. The kitchen workers have been known to wear dirty soiled aprons and uniforms which are supposed to be changed once dirty.

8. But I knew that this place was not up to quality standards concerning health & safety the minute I stepped in there to eat for the first time.

9. And if I were a health inspector, that place would have been closed and their license to operate would have been suspended until all of those those violations were corrected.

10. And since I'm on the subject of health, food storage and sanitaion, I wonder if there are any little four-legged furry creatures running around in there.

All of these things you must be aware of when you walk into an establisment to eat their food. If the place does not look healthy, then I'm not making them any more wealthy.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I admit that I've only eatent INSIDE the place maybe twice, both long time ago. But I still love the take out, I have to admit ....

I am going to split this off as a seperate thread.

I used to love Santarpios, but the last few times I have been there have been a huge disapointment. The pizzas are soggy now for some reason. I can see that with veggie pizzas sometimes, but not with a sausage pizza.

Yeah it is a dirty place, but sometimes you need to deal with grime to get some amazing meals. It is a tradeoff for sure. I don't think I will be going back to Santarpios anytime soon though unless I head they have changed their ways back to the way they used to be.

Yeah, and I forgot to mention that they use paper bags for take-out pizza in place of the flat pizza boxes that they used to use!!

And you're right, the quality in that place has gone down hill! How in the world do they manage, or are allowed to stay in business with those grossly deplorable conditions, I'll never know!!!:ermm:

Also, there are much better places in the Greater Boston area where you can go sit down and enjoy good delicious beer & pizza. Try Doyle's or Dogwood Cafe. in Quincy, there's Darcy's. In Waltham, there's Franca's Pizza. In Newton there's Harris' Bar & Grille. And up north in Dracut near Lowell, there's Dracut House of Pizza where you can enjoy good Greek pizza!

Trust me, I've been to all of those places many times and have enjoyed great pizza there. I got a truly good friend who taught me well!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
The only place I have tried is Doyles and I hate their pizza. I used to practically live there, so it got plenty of chances.

I like NYC pizza way better than anything I have had here.

fool

Have you even been to Santarpios? I agree, they aren't what they used to be, but the conditions are not deplorable or gross! The dark atmosphere and surly waitstaff are part of the charm! Also, they have NEVER used boxes for takeout pizzas. NEVER! They put the pizza on a cardboard plate; put another cardboard plate over the top and slide it in a bag.

Yeah, and I forgot to mention that they use paper bags for take-out pizza in place of the flat pizza boxes that they used to use!!

And you're right, the quality in that place has gone down hill! How in the world do they manage, or are allowed to stay in business with those grossly deplorable conditions, I'll never know!!!:ermm:

Also, there are much better places in the Greater Boston area where you can go sit down and enjoy good delicious beer & pizza. Try Doyle's or Dogwood Cafe. in Quincy, there's Darcy's. In Waltham, there's Franca's Pizza. In Newton there's Harris' Bar & Grille. And up north in Dracut near Lowell, there's Dracut House of Pizza where you can enjoy good Greek pizza!

Trust me, I've been to all of those places many times and have enjoyed great pizza there. I got a truly good friend who taught me well!

~Corey123.

I was their last year during the summer, and I DID notice that they've cleaned up their act.

The problem with putting pizza to go in paper bags is that the cheese topping comes off and sticks to the paper.

And yes, they DID use boxes several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom