Sardinian "pizza"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John V

Assistant Cook
Back in 1973 I was in Sardinia. Used to walk the cobblestone streets there and take it all in. Young couples with chaperons gravitated to little carts on the sidewalk. Taking notice, I found they were buying pieces of "pizza". I bought one and was hooked. It was an oily bisquit type of bread, very crispy with tomato sauce and rosemary leaves and a smattering of other spices. The bread had no stretchiness and was permeated with olive oil. It was cut into rectangles. Not as crunchy as a crouton, but nearly so. It just melted in your mouth. I have since tried foccacias and other Italian flat breads, but have NEVER found anything like it. Has anyone ever been there and tried it? Does anyone know what it is called?

Looks like Sardinia is the lands of breads. Here is a telling paragraph that suggests your quest may be difficult:

Each Sardinian village bakes its own breads, variations on the large round loaves known as tondus, the doughnut shaped còzzula or stick-like zicchi, though names vary almost as much as do styles. Bakers everywhere share a liking for the flat pane carasau and its crisp variation called carta da musica (music paper). The island boasts a tempting range of sweet biscuits, fritters, pastries and cakes, which often contain almond, ricotta, raisins and elaborate spices.

ItalianMade.com - REGIONS: Sardinia: The Foods

And while you're munching on your sardinian pizza, you'll want to sample another delicacy unique to Sardinia, a cheese called "Casu Marzu", that comes with even more protein...live jumping maggots that have a 'thing' for your eyes as you're eating the cheese!
LOL, no joke, check the link at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Well....neither of help. The bread was vesicular and a half inch thick. Seems like almost of the moisture was replaced by oil which gave it the "melt in your mouth quality". As for the maggot cheese.......I'll pass. Seems like only old men eat the stuff. I have developed an affinity for strong cheeses in my middle age due to naturally age related decline of the olfactory process. Still, I do not relish the thought of eating the stuff. I would not eat certain items Asian people eat either. I was at the market just a couple hours ago watching an Asian couple rooting through the durian bin, looking for the perfect fruit, as I would select a Indiana melon. Guess it depends on culture, taste and tradition.

What about this Sicilian Bread Crouton? (you'd have to be a little more heavy handed with the olive oil):
Google Image Result for http://www.italian-food-lovers.com/uploads/cick-peas-croutons-spicy-sicilian-topping.gif

Or maybe this Sicilian Bruschetta:
Google Image Result for http://img.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/su/09/05/sicilianbrusch-su-1891968-l.jpg

Scroll down in those links to see the photos. The Bread Crouton doesn't appear to be vesicular enough but the Sicilian Brushetta does.

Last edited:
Vesicular--sorry this word is too big for me!:LOL: I looked it up and it looks like a medical term that means a cavity or holes. Is that what is meant?

:LOL:...I've never heard the term used in this way either but
I'm assuming he means like a porous textured bread like this:

Attachments

• Bread-porous.jpg
    Bread-porous.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 503
What you described appears to be a type of focaccia bread with toppings. In 1973 I was still leaving in Italy and could never find then the original focaccia I used to crave when I was a child spending the summer vacations at my grandfather home in Liguria. Breads, like many other things change with time.

It just came to me. Could it a Schiacciata? (Squashed) A crispier and thinnier type of white pizza with more olive oil incorporeted into the dough.

Hoooooley bejeezus. zfranca, you have NAILED it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom