Sauce recipes for pan-fried steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shurik1986

Assistant Cook
Today I'm going to fry up a nice piece of steak :LOL:. I usually make the traditional gravy but today I would like to make a nice sauce to go with steak. Any suggestions for steak sauce recipes?

After frying the steak, remove it to a plate and cover it.

Add some sliced shallots and mushrooms into the pan and sauté them until soft and starting to brown. Deglaze with some red wine and reduce. Finish by whisking in some butter off the heat to thicken it.

Dang... I didn't even know there was a traditional gravy for fried steak.
Andy's sauce is a good 'un. And adding a little balsamic vinegar either with the wine or in place of is a nice touch, too.

Add some sliced shallots and mushrooms into the pan and sauté them until soft and starting to brown. Deglaze with some red wine and reduce. Finish by whisking in some butter off the heat to thicken it.

That's exactly what I do. Easy peasy and delicious. I season the mushrooms and shallots with salt and pepper and sautee them in only a little of the remaining fat.

My last couple steaks had mushroom and shallot sauce on them. It's a nice combination.

Make sure you scrape up the brown bits that are stuck on after you cook the steak and dissolve them into your sauce. The wine will release them easily.

Another reason many cooks reject non-stick cookware for most everyday cooking.

Last edited:
Make sure you scrape up the brown bits that are stuck on after you cook the steak and dissolve them into your sauce. The wine will release them easily.

Another reason many cooks reject non-stick cookware for most everyday cooking.

I think that depends on what you're cooking everyday ;)
If I'm making a sauce or gravy I always go for the SS or CI, but if I'm just piddling around making a goulash or cooking eggs, or for home fries, the non-stick comes out. Maybe I vary my cooking too much to be locked into one pan type.

pan fry the steak, set it aside to rest, and in the same pan add a hunk of butter, grapeseed oil, and minced garlic. fry garlic for a minute, then add sliced cremini or shiitake mushrooms. fry for a few minutes until the mushrooms are starting to get soft, and add 2 cups of red wine. bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. when the wine has reduced by half and/or absorbed into the mushrooms, add another hunk of butter and some chopped scallions.

when butter has melted, stir and spoon over steak.

or, after pan frying the steak, add peanut oil and toast garlic and ginger a bit. add a handful of halved baby bok choy, stir fry for a minute, then add a half cup of chicken stock and a few tbsps of thai fish sauce, and soy sauce. simmer until bok choy is just soft - still al dente, plate the bok choy, and reduce remaining liquid by half. once again, add a hunk of butter to melt into the sauce, then spoon over steak.

hth. :chef:

Last edited:

Thanks for that. I tried it last night and it was the most delicious sauce I ever made! :chef:

Glad you liked it. It's a fairly standard sauce. Don't be afraid to experiment. Toss in some fresh herbs, try a sherry or port instead of wine.

mmmm port. I love port in spaghetti sauce, but that's another sauce thread.

Back
Top Bottom