Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgiver

Senior Cook
Any body having sauerkraut on the first day of the new year? Here in PA it is a Pennsylvania Dutch tradition. Traditions say that if you eat sauerkraut on New Years Day you will have good luck all year long.

It's the same as eating cabbage or some other greens - sometimes I have it but mostly I just make a pot of Hoppin' John "my way".

also passing out black eyed peas, which I forgot to do. Do not have any cabbage or sourcraut, but does mesculin count?

I didint know that but I ended up having cabbage and vinegar today... I made a kinda sweet and sour stir fry of cabbage and pork using rice vinegar and mirin besides a little light soy sauce and halved cloves of garlic. Man, nothing like some greasy food for the holidays.

goodgiver said:
Any body having sauerkraut on the first day of the new year? Here in PA it is a Pennsylvania Dutch tradition. Traditions say that if you eat sauerkraut on New Years Day you will have good luck all year long.

My mom always did that!! I did not think of it or would have as well. We are originally from Williamsport.

Pam

I adopted the, cabbage on New Years, from a dear friend, whose maiden name just happened to be Wagner. I have continued, throughout the years. This year I added the noodles and sour cream with a pinch of ground anise seed, couldn't find my caraway. It was a refreshing change.
It is very easy for me as I love cabbage and raw or cooked and have many recipes. One of my favorites is a one using diced tomatoes. YUM YUM.

kielbasa, chopped
shrimp
pork southern style ribs (sometimes I do the ribs and sometimes in the bowl I top with steamed clams - or leave both out - just depends on how much "work" I want to do! lol)
some bacon, cooked and crumbled
I will cook a pot of greens
cooked rice
black-eyed peas (made with onions and smoked ham hock)
homemade pico de gallo
sour cream
cheddar cheese

First I caramize some white onion and green pepper. Next I will cook the meats and/or heat - add shrimp and cook for a couple more minutes. Then I will add the black-eyed peas, toss in the rice, bacon, and mix in the already made greens. Once everthing is good and heated through I load into bowls and top with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and pico de gallo.

Quite tasty 8) and not the easiest "one dish" meal to make but quite worth it!!

I'm glad to see about sauerkraut being associated with good luck. My daughter and I had Reuben sandwiches Jan. 1. Did without black eyed peas and greens 'though I had a salad using "spring salad mix" so does that count?!

kitchenelf said:
I love homemade ranch!!!! What's your recipe?

WOW thanks kitchennisse, I would like to take credit for it, however, I got it from Sara Mounton's cookbook "Cooks at Home". I will post it in the appropriate salad forum so that you adn the other greenies do not have to move it. I altered it to my taste, which I will explain where it is posted.

Getting hungary just reading the post here. Love kraut and ribs and kraut and brats. We have it alot. In fact just put some kraut on a pork roast the last half hr of cooking. YUM!!

I love sauerkraut!

But now the big question..

Caraway Seeds or No Caraway Seeds??

(I like the seeds, personally)

John

never heard of either tradition until this year. luckily, a friend's girlfriend made a darn good pot of red beans and rice in a gravy that just had a hint of spicey heat. it was good, but it was indigestion-city later that day...

Back
Top Bottom