"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sash View Post
I sort out cooked chicken and other sandwich meats into sandwich bags with the right amount so I can just thaw that. It all seems to be about freezing things!

Low temp mise en place is really what we all seem to focus on in "saving time"; it's not taking shortcuts on quality, but streamlining operations.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Cook

These are really great ideas! Love the roux idea :)

Oh garlic I buy minced in a jar, which is fine for a lot of things. I do buy fresh garlic when I need to tho.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmom22 View Post

Oh garlic I buy minced in a jar, which is fine for a lot of things. I do buy fresh garlic when I need to tho.
I love minced in a jar and powdered both. I use a LOT of fresh, but powdered mingles through a wet dish so very well and pre-minced does a great job for a long simmered things. I can even accept garlic salt for popcorn, if I am in the right mood and parm is around, LOL.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmom22 View Post
These are really great ideas! Love the roux idea :)

I always buy fresh garlic. I peel about 5-6 heads and mince them in the food processor. Then I place the minced garlic in a jar with 1 teaspoon of salt so that it doesn't stick. I close the jar firmly and then place the jar in a zipper bag and store it in the freezer. I use the zipper bag because garlic gives an odour that sticks to anything in the freezer, so I try to reduce this odour. By this way I save time during cooking, I almost use garlic in everything.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Executive Chef

The freezer is my friend too. I like to spend the time in the kitchen when the fruit is ripe so that I have frozen fruit in the winter when the days are shorter, the fruit isn't in season, and I need a fruit fix. It is great to have blueberries, cherries, etc. all year long that I have frozen. Nothing better than eating frozen blueberries right out of the freezer bag. Sometimes I put them in a bowl with milk and sugar too, but the best way is just plain right out of the freezer-I've done that since I was a kid. Of course, back then I would pick them at a farm in Paw Paw, Michigan. You could eat all you wanted while you were picking...I can taste them now...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #16
Master Chef

One of mine is one many foodies would turn their noses up for. But I lived in an RV when on the road for years, and now have a home with no A/C in the kitchen. But it is a big time-saver year round. There are a lot of foods you can nuke to temperature before cooking. You may not want the sort of "steamed" flavor from the microwave, but you can nuke a potato 'til almost done, then toss in a very hot oven (much more heat than you'd use to bake one for an hour) to crisp it and get a good overall texture/flavor. Ditto throwing them on the grill, or chopping, slicing before frying (actually, I find they are actually tastier done this way, because you can cook them at a higher heat for shorter period of time). A lot of foods can be microwaved until almost done, then finished off in the traditional manner at a higher temp in the oven, on the stovetop, or outside on the grill. If nothing else, for those of us who don't like to put food on the counter 'till it is room temperature, you nuke it, then cook it. It is almost impossible to tell how to do it, since microwave ovens vary so very, very much in power (it seems like every time I get it down pat, I need a new one, and have to learn again). But if you have a hard day, or six million holiday things to be in the oven, use that darned thing. Heat the casseroles so all they have to have in the oven is the crunchy tops. Reheat stuff people brought that there's no room for in the oven. Even if you're just bringing refrigerated items to heat, you can cut a half hour off your baking or frying time, easily.