"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Scaling A Recipe (merged)

Can a recipe turn out correctly if you divide and conquer - or multiply - for the correct amount of servings? My instincts tell me no. Is there an accurate formula or ratio for scaling a recipe? Anyone have a successful method? What have your experiences been when altering amounts? TIA

__________________

__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Baking aside, you can half or double recipes with no problem. Keep in mind that a normal recipe often has the ingredient amounts increased, decreased or eliminated with good results.

Baking is a different issue. As baking recipes are presenting specific chemical reactions to be successful, the relationships of ingredient amounts are much more important.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Baking aside, you can half or double recipes with no problem. Keep in mind that a normal recipe often has the ingredient amounts increased, decreased or eliminated with good results.

Baking is a different issue. As baking recipes are presenting specific chemical reactions to be successful, the relationships of ingredient amounts are much more important.
Thanks Andy. Maybe I should have been more specific, i.e. if a recipe serves four, and you would like to serve 12 or 25, initially my thoughts are, it won't work by multiplying/dividing. Or, the other way around - if a recipe serves 25 or 50, can you scale it down? Is there a ratio or formula that will work? TIA
__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
My experience is that I have no difficulty doubling, trebling recipes (and that includes baking). I have never gone the other direction though. Sorry mish.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Thanks Andy. Maybe I should have been more specific, i.e. if a recipe serves four, and you would like to serve 12 or 25, initially my thoughts are, it won't work by multiplying/dividing. Or, the other way around - if a recipe serves 25 or 50, can you scale it down? Is there a ratio or formula that will work? TIA
I understood you and my answer stands.

Consider this:

You have a recipe which serves 4 and you need to serve 12. That's a triple recipe. You can triple all the ingredients and make one big batch or cook three smaller batches using the same amount of the ingredients and mix the three batches together when you're done. There's no difference as long as you have the larger containers to accommodate the larger ingredient amounts.

The same goes for reducing the amounts to cut a recipe for 25 servings down to a smaller size.

Again, I'm not including baking in my response.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Andy...why is baking different? I have never had an issue with trebling a cookie recipe for example.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 3,834
A local grocery store gave out a recipe several years ago for one of my favorite cookies = fruit bars. The only problem - it is in a vast quantity and is measured in ounces. I've wanted to have it cut to normal proportions, but haven't found a way to do that yet. I don't trust my measurements in such as baking soda, salt, baking powder, etc. I suppose the only way I will ever make it is if I need a huge amount of the cookies.
__________________
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
A local grocery store gave out a recipe several years ago for one of my favorite cookies = fruit bars. The only problem - it is in a vast quantity and is measured in ounces. I've wanted to have it cut to normal proportions, but haven't found a way to do that yet. I don't trust my measurements in such as baking soda, salt, baking powder, etc. I suppose the only way I will ever make it is if I need a huge amount of the cookies.
Maybe post the recipe, and we will take a stab at it :)
__________________
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,357
I would never monkey around with quanty re a baking/cake recipe. One of the reasons I asked was because I've seen several restaurant recipes (for large quantities) that I would like to translate for a home cook. The other being, recipes for a home cook serving six, and wondering if they can be duplicated/adjusted to serve i.e. 100. The size of the baking pan, is a given, and sure I would have to adjust cooking time, but still not sure multiplying/dividing ingredients will work.
__________________
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Just taste as you go. Certain ingredients and/or cooking techniques/times may need to be adjusted depending on if you are dividing or multiplying the recipe.
__________________

__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.