Scallions vs. green onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on what part of the county or world you are in. By me they are considered the same thing.

same thing here too, scallions are considered the same as green onions. but my neighbors grow an onion that is half way between scallion, which they call spring onions, and regular onions. it looks like a fat bulbed scallion, a little smaller than a golf ball, which they call a green onion.
for scallions, depending on the dish you can use all of it, or just the white part. sometimes the green part can be a little bitter, in which case you may not want to eat it. otherwise, i always use the whole scallion.

btw, if you get the chance, buy or make scallion kimchi. it rocks!!!

lol Kimchee is an acquired taste! My BIL used to call his daughter "Kimchee" when they lived in Korea - I was told the literal translation is "rotten cabbage"! :rolleyes:

Whoa... so scallion is the same thing as green onion?
I thought it was this thing...

img_243469_0_d454f857f13008c0d68ab3b03b52e838.jpg

I just assumed so because it is "scalogno" in Italian and the dictionary also says scalogno=scallion...:ermm:
They are much smaller than onion, but has more intense flavour, with a touch of garlicky taste to it... what do you call this in English??

That's a shallot.

As for scallion/green onion...I've always labelled the white the "green onion" and the green part the "scallion"

but is it a shall-et, or shull-lot?

like chaw-colate, or chock-olate.

or-ange, or are-ange...

Depends on where you live. In Canada they call them shuh-LOTs, best I can tell. In America, everybody calls them SHALL-uts.

I do have one question though...there was someone in an earlier post that said it had a more intense flavor...are there different kinds of em that I'm not aware of? Every shallot I've ever used/eaten has always been real mild and mellow in flavor--which is why I use so many of them (the lady of the house is not a big onion fan in general so in a few dishes in which the onion flavor really needs to be one of the dominant tastes, I end up substituting a shallot for a yellow)

in irish, it's puh-tay-ya-toes. (say it with a brogue.) :)

i agree about the shallots, being more mild than regular onions, but they are kinda half way to being garlic as well. sort of a mild garlicy onion, or a mild oniony garlic.

You like po-tay-to and I like po-tah-to,
You like to-may-to, and I like to-mah-to
potayto, potahto, tomayto, tomahto,
Let's call the whole thing off:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I don't know if "intense" was the right word, but I usually use less amount of "shallot" than I would do with onions, and the effect is just as good... the flavour is more "enhancing" should I say?

Last edited:
Green onion is a category within the onion family. Chives, scallions, leeks and spring onions are all green onions. However, in many areas, scallions have become known as green onions.

I usually use a smaller amount of shallot than onion also, but don't ususally use it in the same type dish. Also shallots are so much more expensive than most types of onion. I use shallots more in sauces, dressings, etc. Onions, I use in everything else.

I don't buy shallots because they are so pricey, and I like onions just fine. Maybe one day I'll splurge and see what we think about them. After all, I do splurge and buy leeks. They're usually about $1 apiece.

Constance said:
I don't buy shallots because they are so pricey, and I like onions just fine. Maybe one day I'll splurge and see what we think about them. After all, I do splurge and buy leeks. They're usually about $1 apiece.
Ehhh, when you think about it, they aren't really that pricey. I pay like 3.49 a pound for shallots, but the thing with them is that each shallot bulb usually has about 3 shallots in it. And since a little goes a long way (the garlic flavor to it makes it a flavor that stands out, even if it is milder than an onion), they really only end up costing about 70 cents a dish whereas a yellow onion would be about 40. 30 cents ain't a big deal, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom