School Lunches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a mom, but I think a lot depends on how old the child is and what they are willing to eat vs. what they will toss in the trash. Will your child carry reusable containers and bring them home?

For packed lunches, I try to keep it simple and as healthy as possible.
For 4 year olds I pack - a variety of wholewheat sandwiches or rolls with fruit, yoghurt and sometimes an added extra like peanuts and raisons / crunchies. I've tried packing carrot/cucumber sticks and baby tomatoes, but they appeal more at home fresh and with a dip.
This way, we can enjoy our main, cooked meal together in the evening.
I'm sure though - as Andy M states - it's very much age dependent.

Middle school and H.S. kids do not like to take a bag lunch. At one time the kids were not allowed to leave the school property for the full day. Now many schools allow the kids to eat outside and off school grounds. Some schools in my area also allow roach coaches to pull up outside the school at lunch time. Pizza and ice cream trucks that also sell sodas will park outside also. Schools have banned the sale of sodas in the vending machines in the schools only to be outwitted with sales right outside the door. Getting our kids to eat a sensible meal is a never ending battle. But it all starts in the home. :)

Addie said:
Middle school and H.S. kids do not like to take a bag lunch. At one time the kids were not allowed to leave the school property for the full day. Now many schools allow the kids to eat outside and off school grounds. Some schools in my area also allow roach coaches to pull up outside the school at lunch time. Pizza and ice cream trucks that also sell sodas will park outside also. Schools have banned the sale of sodas in the vending machines in the schools only to be outwitted with sales right outside the door. Getting our kids to eat a sensible meal is a never ending battle. But it all starts in the home. :)

That sux big time. We used to get horrible soggy jam sandwiches and one day per week we could order tuck shop. Our choices were ham or egg salad rolls, pies with real meat, cuppa soups. We could order a frozen ice drink which was literally either creaming soda or sarsparella drink in a 150ml plastic cup frozen. No wonder we have a growing obesity problem. Who can afford to eat out of roach couches ( loved this term) all the time anyway, and I work full time.

I'm not a Mom, but I make menu's for daycares.. so I think I have a little niche here, no?

Anyways.. left overs are great. Kids love having unconventional food, how awesome would it be to have lasagna in a thermos opposed to a tuna sammy. Freeze ahead meals, pre-portioned in ziplocks, that are defrosted and cooked in the morning (or overnight, if you have a small crockpot)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom