"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-20-2005, 07:58 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Yeah technically it is a vegetable, I mean how many fruits come in stalk format? I guess it's 'real world' classification comes down to what it is used for, just like a tomato.

Tell you what though there is a recipe of roasted pork with rhubarb that I have been well keen to try out. Trying to wait till the weather is more suitable for it though, maybe I'll just do it anyway.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #22
Master Chef

I wish I could reply that most Americans don't eat most of their meals out of McD's or other chain food high-fat-salt food emporiums, but the statistics and my freinds prove otherwise. Oh, dear.

Old 01-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Claire

We too have suffered the curse of the Golden Arches and Starbucks.... - so we can't point the finger at the USA when we appear to 'embrace' the foodstuffs!

I prefer to buy my coffee from a small local Italian coffee shop (we've got lots of them here!) rather than a multi-national.... Especially as I like my coffee to taste like coffee, rather than an exotically flavoured hot coffee shake!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #24
Master Chef

It just goes to show, you never know. I know most people know rhubarb as a 'sweet', but I didn't .... my dad ate it like most would eat a stalk of celery, so I always considered it a veg. Looks like celery, albeit a pretty color, so a veg. I think he put salt on it. But then I still don't understand the tomato/fruit thing. It's a nightshade, right? Eggplant is a nightshade too, isn't it? and .... there are lots. Are they all fruits? Maybe fruits and vegs shouldn't have separate classification at all.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 AM   #25
Executive Chef

My Dad used to pull what we call a 'stock of roobirt' (stick of rhubarb) from the garden and put salt on it, too! Do you have Scots ancestry, Claire? 8)
Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #26
Master Chef

Nope, not that I know of. Both my parents are pretty much French, via Canada. There are family rumors of some Seminole in us (and many family charactoristics, and Canadian history in general make it probably so). But in my youth, my parents didn't much like sweets, neither of them. Dad put salt on everything, I think .... melon, apples. But rubarb really got us going, because it was so darned sour to begin with. Later in my life I learned that "old Hawaii hands" often put salt on pineapple if they got one that was sort of bitter/sour flavored. It really does work, believe it or not, using salt rather than sugar to counter the bitter/sour flavor of food.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Hence the Scots traditional way of eating porridge - ie sprinkled with salt - no sugar, honey or fruit!