"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I don't know why but I have had the same thing happen with instant sugar free pudding...
hmm...maybe heating sugar substitutes is the culprit. I know you're not suppose to heat "Sweet & Low"...I don't know what happens if you do.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

According to Kerry's Island Kitchen:

There is a very real and scientific reason why eggs turn green: it is due to a reaction between the hydrogen sulfide in the egg white with the iron in the yolk to form iron sulfide, a harmless but unfortunately unappealing gray/green compound. It is this same compound that can form a gray skin around the yolk of hard boiled eggs, usually when you are trying to impress company with your deviled eggs. This reaction occurs because eggs are cooked for too long at excessive temperatures, and held for too long over heat before serving. For this reason, you shouldn’t ever actually boil hard-boiled eggs, but simmer them until they are done, then immediately cool them under cold water. With scrambled eggs, obviously you can’t douse them in water before serving, so here are a few recommendations. Cook scrambled eggs in small batches and don’t hold them for prolonged periods of time. Use stainless steel utensils (aluminum itself produces a gray/black metallic oxide when in contact with low-acid foods or boiling water). If you must hold scrambled eggs for any length of time, keep them from direct heat by using a pan such as a chafing dish which allows your serving pan to sit in warmed water, keeping it away from the direct heat source. The fresher the eggs you use, the less likely you will get greening, but that is not a guarantee

This may be of help or not.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

THANK YOU!! That was most definately helpful. I assume it will not harm you if you eat it, if you can get past the color!! I guess that is probably why they tell you to use a double boiler. I guess I will have to go shopping this weekend! Thank you everyone!!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook

you dont need to buy a double boiler....all you need is a normal pot and a metal bowl....the bowl needs to be the right size to sit inside the pot, but not touch the bottom....just boil some water in the pot, put the bowl on top, and you have your double boiler....all it does is prevent scorching by heating the bowl with boiling water/steam only, which is lower in temp and more consistent than the flame (or heating element) on your range

if you still need to shop, i would personally buy a new bowl instead of a double boiler...cheaper and more useful
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
hmm...maybe heating sugar substitutes is the culprit. I know you're not suppose to heat "Sweet & Low"...I don't know what happens if you do.
That shouldn't be the problem though, since you don't cook instant pudding.

Barbara