Sea salt: Is it better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's very interesting to hear about pinching salt with your fingers. I like the idea of having ones own individual salt cellar.
I have several salt cellars that were passed down. I like them--they are fun to put on the table. My favorite is a little Norwegian ship. It is pewter, so I am not sure about using it, but it sure is cute.

I have hypothyroidism and am on medicine for it. About two years ago I started to use sea salt because it has natural iodine and other minerals. I don't like the refined table salt that has iodine added It has a metal taste to me. All I know is that since I have been using sea salt, my medicine for my thyroid has been cut in half. And I prefer the taste of it. I keep a salt cellar of course beside the stove for cooking and another salt cellar of the fine for table use. I have noticed the biggest difference in using sea salt in cooking pasta. I add it to the water and when I test it, it has a clean taste and I don't need to add any when I have the finished product at the table. I even use the fine for baking. It really helps chocolate bloom. :yum::chef:

When I first heard of sea salt and started using it in the early '70s, it was very grey. I had some concern that it was that colour from oil spills. 0_o

I have several salt cellars that were passed down. I like them--they are fun to put on the table. My favorite is a little Norwegian ship. It is pewter, so I am not sure about using it, but it sure is cute.
Speaking of salt cellars, I saw these on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Very cool and would look nice on the table for get togethers. I don't have $50 of disposable income at the moment, but might pick them up somewhere down the road.

On the subject of salt, you guys might find this weird, but our college-age daughter only recently learned how to use salt and pepper shakers. Absolutely true. Some of her friends probably think she was raised in a cave, but we've never owned a set of them. Not a one. I have a pepper grinder and wooden salt cellar with spoon that I always put out on the table for people to use (they don't even match).

So it struck me as funny one day when we were at a restaurant and I saw our kid pick up a salt shaker and sort of wave it upside down over her food like a Harry Potter wand. I tried not to laugh, and then showed her how to use it the right way. Sometimes we just take these things for granted I guess. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not the Diamond Crystal Brand, which is what I buy.

Why do you use that instead of ordinary table salt?

I've read Kurlansky's book. He discusses in great detail how unrefined sea salt was used throughout history, mostly because people had no other choices. But he also goes on to say that refined salt, when available, was almost universally preferred. I think that still holds true today, for the most part. Unrefined sea salt has become sort of a foodie fad item in recent years, but I don't see it as a replacement for refined salt.

I think most people just reach for the Morton's and never give it another thought.

Last edited:
Steve, I can particularly relate to your daughter's dillemna. I put a pepper mill and salt cellars, spoons with kosher large crystal salt when I set the table (I'm using that loosely, my husband actually sets the table). We don't have kids, but some of our newer friends and younger children keep looking around for the salt and pepper shakers!

I prefer salt cellars that will absorb any moisture and have an attached cover. Wooden and unglazed white clay ones are the best for this purpose. If the clay ones are glazed, it blocks the absorption of moisture.

I use Kosher salt. Tastes great. I do wonder if I'm cheating myself out of needed iodine, though. I am not sure what other foods would actually contain it.

I use Kosher salt. Tastes great. I do wonder if I'm cheating myself out of needed iodine, though. I am not sure what other foods would actually contain it.

If you eat even a moderate amount of processed food you're good to go.

Diamond kosher salt is what I use 90% of the time.

I finish with sea salt (i have a bunch of kinds) and bake with mortons round box salt because it dissolves better

Sea salt is just as salty as any other salt. And like Andy and others said it's mineral properties are lost when it's used with any strong taste. Using spendy sea salt regularly seems like a huge waste to me.

Tastes great compared to what? Better than table salt? Or if not that then what?

Using spendy sea salt regularly seems like a huge waste to me.
My sea salt purchased at Asian markets costs less per unit weight than a pound of Morton's at the local supermarket. Probably less than the store's generic brand although I'd have to verify that.

Salt is Salt

Well there's the topic right there. Is sea salt all in my mind or does it have a different taste?

I do think I've got a point about fine vs. medium vs. coarse, but not sure there's any evidence at all that sea salt or any other salt tastes better, or tastes different, although perhaps the latter is somewhat agreed upon. By some.

Tastes great compared to what? Better than table salt? Or if not that then what?

My sea salt purchased at Asian markets costs less per unit weight than a pound of Morton's at the local supermarket. Probably less than the store's generic brand although I'd have to verify that.

Well there's the topic right there. Is sea salt all in my mind or does it have a different taste?

I do think I've got a point about fine vs. medium vs. coarse, but not sure there's any evidence at all that sea salt or any other salt tastes better, or tastes different, although perhaps the latter is somewhat agreed upon. By some.

Regular table salt leaves a metalic taste in my mouth. I only use it in baking. :chef:

I pay the same per pound for table salt as I do for sea salt. I like Kosher salt, sea salt (coarse, medium, fine, plus about 10 "special" sea salts), and rarely use regular table salt. (Oops--the special ones are more expensive, but the supermarket where I shop sells sea salt for the same price as table salt).

Last edited:

I think kosher is better than table salt, especially the iodized version.

Asian market? What's that? Oh yeah, you live in LA. Good luck finding one away from the coast and not in a city.

Kosher salt is better than table salt in what way?

Yeah, I know about the Asian markets being a relatively local thing, although better supermarkets, Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's Market are carrying a lot more international ingredients these days.

Not in a city? Not gonna happen. If you don't live in a big city or can't drive to one then you'll probably have to order Asian ingredients online or go without.

There is just no way to quantify a preference, I like kosher salt better, it tastes better, I like cooking with it better than table salt...why?...my tastebuds like it better.

Back
Top Bottom