"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Newp.. not that one. I think it mighta been Morton.
I think the difference in price was ~$1 between Morton and Diamond. The inclusion of anti-caking made me and spend the extra $1 and get the Diamond.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I use Kosher salt. Tastes great. I do wonder if I'm cheating myself out of needed iodine, though. I am not sure what other foods would actually contain it.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
I use Kosher salt. Tastes great. I do wonder if I'm cheating myself out of needed iodine, though. I am not sure what other foods would actually contain it.
If you eat even a moderate amount of processed food you're good to go.

Diamond kosher salt is what I use 90% of the time.

I finish with sea salt (i have a bunch of kinds) and bake with mortons round box salt because it dissolves better

Sea salt is just as salty as any other salt. And like Andy and others said it's mineral properties are lost when it's used with any strong taste. Using spendy sea salt regularly seems like a huge waste to me.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #34
Head Chef

Salt is Salt
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
Tastes great compared to what? Better than table salt? Or if not that then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Using spendy sea salt regularly seems like a huge waste to me.
My sea salt purchased at Asian markets costs less per unit weight than a pound of Morton's at the local supermarket. Probably less than the store's generic brand although I'd have to verify that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Salt is Salt
Well there's the topic right there. Is sea salt all in my mind or does it have a different taste?

I do think I've got a point about fine vs. medium vs. coarse, but not sure there's any evidence at all that sea salt or any other salt tastes better, or tastes different, although perhaps the latter is somewhat agreed upon. By some.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Tastes great compared to what? Better than table salt? Or if not that then what?

My sea salt purchased at Asian markets costs less per unit weight than a pound of Morton's at the local supermarket. Probably less than the store's generic brand although I'd have to verify that.

Well there's the topic right there. Is sea salt all in my mind or does it have a different taste?

I do think I've got a point about fine vs. medium vs. coarse, but not sure there's any evidence at all that sea salt or any other salt tastes better, or tastes different, although perhaps the latter is somewhat agreed upon. By some.
Regular table salt leaves a metalic taste in my mouth. I only use it in baking.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I pay the same per pound for table salt as I do for sea salt. I like Kosher salt, sea salt (coarse, medium, fine, plus about 10 "special" sea salts), and rarely use regular table salt. (Oops--the special ones are more expensive, but the supermarket where I shop sells sea salt for the same price as table salt).
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post

I think kosher is better than table salt, especially the iodized version.

Asian market? What's that? Oh yeah, you live in LA. Good luck finding one away from the coast and not in a city.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Kosher salt is better than table salt in what way?

Yeah, I know about the Asian markets being a relatively local thing, although better supermarkets, Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's Market are carrying a lot more international ingredients these days.

Not in a city? Not gonna happen. If you don't live in a big city or can't drive to one then you'll probably have to order Asian ingredients online or go without.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is just no way to quantify a preference, I like kosher salt better, it tastes better, I like cooking with it better than table salt...why?...my tastebuds like it better.

Tags
salt