"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
Cook

Totally agree with Michael there, sear it hard then shove it in the oven. I like my steak rare, as in as much of it as possible rare. Not the 20% rare, 45% medium rare, 20% medium, 10% medium-well and 5% well-done thing that comes out of a pan.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Next time (I know, Rachel didn't do it this way on the show) ... preheat your oven to 350-400 F. Heat your pan, sear the steaks on each side for about 2 minutes - them pop the skillet into the oven to finish. You will have developed the flavors from searing the meat - and you will not smoke up the house/apt as much.
I've used that technique, which I believe is called pan roasting, with fish and it works very well indeed -- fish is nicely browned and crispy on the outside, moist in the middle. I'll post the recipe -- Pan-Roasted Tuna with White Beans.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecactuswill
I was watching rachel ray the other day, and she pan-fried steaks with olive oil. So I tried it. The steak turned out just like as shown on the show. But I turned around and looked across the kitchen, and the whole house was full of smoke! I couldn't even see across the living/dining rooms. Now the whole house stinks and it really pissed off my roommates. What did I do wrong? Any tips on deodorizing?
I can totally sympathize with you and your roommates on this one. Several years ago I went out and bought me a cast iron grill/griddle like Rach uses and was so psyched to use it. The exhaust in the place we lived was standard and I didn't realize how much smoke was in the apartment till I turned to my DH walking in the front door. Needless to say he was a bit concerned but we just opened up the windows and doors and enjoyed the meal. I still torture us and occasionally sear like this but finish them off in the oven.

I have watched a few of Rachels episodes and the set has become pretty smoky several times as she was cooking. But by the next take they were able to have cleared it.

Do you have a box fan or floor fan that you can sit in front of the door to help get the smoke out?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I can suggest using a cast iron grill pan with 1/2 inch grooves, There will be less smoke because less meat comes in contact with the pan and you dont have to use nearly as much oil....then finish it in the oven.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecactuswill
...There is an overhead microwave above the stove, where the fan would normally be...
Double check your microwave - unless it was put in against building codes, it should have a fan as part of the unit. Codes say that you must have some sort of cooking exhaust available ... either overhead or a down draft system. If you are renting, I would be really surprised if it wasn't there ...

Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I would think that the tv show kitchen has more than 1 exhaust fan....don't you think so people?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #17
Master Chef

Don't feel bad. I live in such an old house that I don't have an exhaust fan in my kitchen. But even before then I decided that certain things weren't meant to be done in home kitchens that weren't prepared for it. I often have problems searing meats on top of my stove. Very high heats and especially higher fat meats cooked very close to the element when you broil will give you a lot of smoke. I've had freinds who have bought high-end in-kitchen grills with expensive fans (both up and down -draft) who have found their kitchens full of smoke and so noisy we couldn't converse while we were cooking over their very, very, expensive island grills. Since I don't have a fan in my kitchen, there are certain things I just don't do unless it's warm enough to try it outside on the grill.

Searing meats often creates this problem.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO
I would think that the tv show kitchen has more than 1 exhaust fan....don't you think so people?
You would think but I've seen the set really smoke up on Rachel and Giadas set a few times but after the commercial it'd always myseteriously clear up.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
Double check your microwave - unless it was put in against building codes, it should have a fan as part of the unit. Codes say that you must have some sort of cooking exhaust available ... either overhead or a down draft system. If you are renting, I would be really surprised if it wasn't there ...

Good Luck!
Well, as an owner of an overhead microwave with a fan system (one with filters that are regularly cleaned), I can honestly say the thing is next to worthless when it comes to a smokey kitchen.

The solution? Make sure whatever is smoking up the kitchen smells good!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

My overhead mic has a great fan. there is even an option to turbo it (super high setting). When that thing gets going it is deafening. Even that is no match for the smoke a pan cooked steak gives off.