"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Secret to the Perfect pizza?

Hi, i am an italian guy but i live in England from 2 weeks. I work in an italian Restaurant, "Pastarito&Pizzarito", and i want to know the secret to make a perfect pizza. I know that i'm italian and i could know the pizza, but i am so inexpert, and if i want to become a famous cook, i must have your pareers. Thank you very much.
p.s. sorry for my english...
p.p.s sprry for my nick
:pastapizza&mandolino: :i'm sfonning U:
Hi!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Head Chef

The secret to any great pizza is of course the pizza crust. That is where preference begins and never ends.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Al contrario, mio amica, the secrect to great pizza is a flavorful sauce!
Many pizza joints have come and gone because, althought their crust was just the right thickness, with just the right crustiness, and just the right internal texture, the sauce was troppo mezzo mezzo, which will not appeal to the true pizza aficionado.

That is why you will never find a Dominos or Pizza Hut in a predominantly Italian neighborhood, especially in the Norteastern United States, where the Italians have lived there, sometimes in the same house, for 3 or 4 generations. The sauce they put on their pizzas is totally tastless, figuratively as well as literally.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Al contrario, mio amica, the secrect to great pizza is a flavorful sauce!
Many pizza joints have come and gone because, althought their crust was just the right thickness, with just the right crustiness, and just the right internal texture, the sauce was troppo mezzo mezzo, which will not appeal to the true pizza aficionado.

That is why you will never find a Dominos or Pizza Hut in a predominantly Italian neighborhood, especially in the Norteastern United States, where the Italians have lived there, sometimes in the same house, for 3 or 4 generations. The sauce they put on their pizzas is totally tastless, figuratively as well as literally.
Thank yuo very much...but i can put in my pizza some ingredients like pepperoni, cappers, cheeese, and so on?
:pastapizza&mandolino: :misfonnomanonmollo: :sietescemiacredermisfonnati:
p.s FLAVORFUL SAUCE??? OMG
Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

You can top it with pepperoni, salami, capacolla, proscuito, mortadella, anchovies, chicken, turkey, ham, balogna (never tried this, just heard it in a Honda commercial!), bacon or pancetta, bell peppers (any color), hot peppers, pepperoncini, tomatoes, asparagus, celery, spinach, or bietola da coste, and although mozzerella is the traditional cheese, you can also use provolone, parmagiano, gorgonzola, Monterey Jack, Swiss, meunster, or any other cheese that you think would melt and taste good.

Just one thing, please? NO %!@$#%@ PINEAPPLE! If God wanted pineapple on pizza, he would have put Italy in the South Pacific!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
You can top it with pepperoni, salami, capacolla, proscuito, mortadella, anchovies, chicken, turkey, ham, balogna (never tried this, just heard it in a Honda commercial!), bacon or pancetta, bell peppers (any color), hot peppers, pepperoncini, tomatoes, asparagus, and although mozzerella is traditional, you can use provolone, parmagiano, gorgonzola, Monterey Jack, Swiss, meunster, or any other cheese that you think would melt and taste good.

Just one thing, please? NO %!@$#%@ PINEAPPLE! If God wanted pineapple on pizza, he would have put Italy in the South Pacific!
NO the pineapple no! In Italy we haven't got any plant of pineaplle....i hate punapple....what a skif....is too sugar..do you understand? thank you very much....:tesfonno!!:
Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Head Chef

sì, capisco completamente!

Don't get me wrong, I love pineapple in things like, say, sweet and sour sauce, chutney, upside down cake, or as a garnish for ham or pork dishes. I just do NOT want to see it on a pizza.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
sì, capisco completamente!

Don't get me wrong, I love pineapple in things like, say, sweet and sour sauce, chutney, upside down cake, or as a garnish for ham or pork dishes. I just do NOT want to see it on a pizza.
yes, it's what i'm saying, the pineapple it's sweet, the pizza it's salad.....often i like some strange dishes with sweet/salad, but the pineapple put in a pizza is so american....
are your origins italian? you speak italian better than i speak english!
:italianopizzapasta&mandolino: :materazzirulez:
:grimhaiunbelavatar:
Old 05-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
Cook

It is obvious in just a few short responses that PIZZA has a large variety of toppings and opinions.

I make my own dough and I also make my own sauce from home grown San Marzano tomatoes and our garden herbs. So I guess I would say the most important part is the crust and the sauce followed by the cheese. I can be happy with those three ingredients but I use a variety of toppings depending on my mood and what is in the fridge. I don’t make pizza a garbage dump for leftovers but some things I create a large portion with the anticipation of using on a pizza later. Meatballs would be a good example.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englisc cuk
are your origins italian? you speak italian better than i speak english!
Si. Mia madre è Siciliano puro!

Although I have not spoken Italian in many years, we lived in my grandparent's house until I was 3 years old, so I learned to speak Sicilian before I learned English. My grandfather was a barber, so he spoke perfect English, along with several Italian dialects, but my grandmother always spoke in Italian. I didn't even know she could speak English until I had kids of my own. To them, she spoke English!