"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Seeking advice for working with sugar glass

Hi everyone. Im new here and Im looking for some specific advice about sugar glass. If anyone can assist, Id be very grateful.

My husband is a huge train enthusiast. Its his birthday in a couple of weeks and I thought Id try to make him a cake in the shape of a London Underground tube train (Im UK-based, incidentally). My plan for the cake is to make it in a couple of loaf tins, slice them across the middle and fill with a filling before covering in ready-to-roll white icing and decorating with doors, roof, wheels etc. in ready-to-roll icing in different colours. What I would really like to do is make windows for the train using sugar glass which I would then stick on. Having never made sugar glass before, I dont know how workable it is. In an ideal world, I would try to make a sheet of glass and cut it to the appropriate shapes using a sharp knife but I have no idea if the glass will be too brittle for me to do that and just shatter when I try.

Another option is to somehow make the windows from a mould but again, what kind of mould silicon? Or to perhaps make window frames from icing and pour the liquid sugar glass into it but I have no idea how easy that would be to do and I would prefer to try the whole cutting it to size thing if such an option were possible.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Head Chef

I'm pretty sure you can't cut poured sugar once it hardens. I've seen it broken into shards and used as decoration, but never cut. The cake shows that I've seen that use sugar work have all used molds for shapes. You can purchase silicone sugar molds fairly inexpensively, under $15, usually under $10, especially for the size you'll need. Making a mold/frame with icing probably won't work as the sugar is REALLY hot when you pour it.

Just a tip, you will have to watch the melted sugar extremely closely to get clear "glass." It will start to discolor to yellow to brownish very, very quickly. I'd suggest a dry run prior to making the cake and plenty of sugar on hand the day you are making the cake. Been there, done that when I wanted to make frozen ice shards for a Frozen Birthday cake for a GD.

Have you ever worked with and/or tasted fondant? If you haven't, I'd suggest also doing a dry run because it can be difficult to work with, especially to get sharp corners. It's taste/texture can also be not so pleasant to some.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Head Chef

Oh, forgot to add Welcome to DC and you're a great wife for making a cake like that for your hubs. Good luck with it!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks medtran49 - appreciate the advice.

It's an ambitious plan I know and I'm not the most artistic of cooks but if nothing else, I'm sure he'll appreciate the gesture.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
Master Chef

How about making a batch of windows using this cookie recipe. I'm thinking a cookie window frame with a "glass" center, just a thought!

Stained Glass Window Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I did a quick google of "London underground train cakes", I was amazed at the number of images from simple to quite elaborate. Take a look you may find some inspiration!

Good luck and welcome!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
Master Chef

I found this small video from Martha Stewart about making sugar windows for a Downton Abbey Gingerbread House, take a look. This is just one in a series videos about the project.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Don't forget to put a little "Mind the Gap" sign
Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Do you get the Food Network show "Cake Wars"? They do amazing things with sugar, including making "glass".

The old style western movies had windows made of poured sugar, so when the cowboys would throw each other out, it made a satisfying smash and nobody got hurt.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

The following has step by step videos for making Sugar-Glass.

3 Ways to Make Sugar Glass - wikiHow

Welcome to DC. This is a fun place with lots of help and information for any problem. We just love solving problems. So stick around and have some fun.

Tags
sugar