Self Rising Cornmeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidlet_animal_luv

Assistant Cook
:chef: I am new to this forum..

I will be making a Mexican dish for a potluck and it calls for self-rising cornmeal. I couldn't find any at the store. How much baking powder would I need for this to become "self rising".

:) Also, the differences in suguars. Confectionery sugar is icing sugar is it not? and what exactly is fruited powdered sugar used for. Can they be inter-changed for any reciepe and if so, will it alter the flavour that much.

Any help would be appreciated. :chef:

Also, what's the difference in using unsalted vs. salted butter for baking.
I tend to use soya margarine. Does that affect the outcome?

:ROFLMAO:

The difference between the salted and unsalted butter is, drumroll... salt.
When using unsalted butter, one can control the amount of salt in a recipe. Using salted butter in recipes that also call for salt may make your baked good too salty.
That said, I made poundcake with unsalted butter, thought it tasted bland. I guess I got used to the saltiness.
as for your other questions, I have no idea. : )

Confectioner Sugar = Powdered Sugar = Icing Sugar. It's kinda a regional thing...Some people use the term confectioners sugar, others, powdered sugar. Icing sugar is sometimes used in European countries as well as Canada.

Margarine and butter can pretty much be used interchangeably in most recipes...with the edge going to butter for a better product. Salted vs. Unsalted is obviously a small amount of salt in the salted butter....Undetectable in a lot of recipes.

1 cup corn meal + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/2 tsp salt = 1 cup self-rising cornmeal

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom