"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Sous Chef

You better believe I've jazzed up already prepared stuff. A caterer told me that if you add three ingredients to a prepared something or other, you can call it home made. I took it to heart. My family has their favorites and many times shortcuts were the only way to get them because of work schedules. I've even fooled my mother-in-law. And all those impossible pies have been great.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Head Chef

One of the first things I ever learned how to ' cook', when I was in high school. I'd take a can of condensed vegetarian vegetable soup, fill the can half with water, other half with wine, mix it in. dump a hand full of egg noodles, sliced up fresh mushrooms and some butter. cook until noodles were done, then served it in a bowl over a left over end piece of white bread. Still occasionally make it to this day. Cant say its great, but its one of those ' i have everything in he house, and need to get rid of it ' recipes.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
Master Chef

Like Whiska, I'll jazz up jarred spaghetti sauce if I don't have any homemade in the freezer. I buy basic ones like marinara or basil so I can put in my own additions. Usually whatever veggies need using up from the fridge. If I'm feeling meaty that day I'll pull a small tub of frozen ground meat from the freezer to brown.

When we first got married Himself taught me three meals he loved. His Mom's spaghetti sauce (which I've tweaked over the years), breaded pork chops, and this easy-peasy tuna casserole. It started out as one each of: can of tuna, can of mixed veggies with liquid, can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 cup of instant rice (like Minute Rice). Mix, cover, and bake @350 for 30 minutes. Over time I've gone to two cans of tuna (it's lost 2 ounces over the years - apparently tuna IS good for weight loss!) and upping the rice for Himself (he likes it way drier than I do, so I move my share to a 2nd baking dish before adding more rice); sometimes I'll sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on top 5 minutes before it's done. We always have those ingredients in the house and I can pull it together in about 5 minutes, or faster than we could drive anywhere to get take-out.

My favorite Lazy Meal? The other half of a meal, because I almost always make double of what we'll eat. Nice to know all I have to do is a different veggie and it's like a whole new meal two days later.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When ground beef or turkey is on sale I buy a couple pounds and fry it with peppers, onions, celery and mushrooms. I freeze it in one and two cup containers for quick and easy meals. Things like dirty rice, American goulash, chili, spaghetti sauce, tacos, sloppy joes and on and on! Preparing this base allows me to add a variety of vegetables and eliminate the risk of spoilage. Celery was always a problem before I started this, now I can use a bunch every few weeks.

:

Brilliant !!!

I'm going to try this, as I'm cooking for only myself mostly (partner dealing with family issues).
Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Master Chef

I use Campbell's soups for a lot of sauces when I'm in hurry. My son (the former chef) has several ramen additions he likes. Even though he can afford better food he still occasionally makes his ramen dishes. I think they are his comfort food! He lies to dice up turkey or ham and throw it in the ramen along with some frozen veggies. He will add an egg to the ramen after it's cooked and stir. It comes out like egg drop soup. The noodles and sauce are hot enough to cook the egg.

I always doctor up spaghetti sauce. I buy Hunts but add meats and onion and usually more garlic. I keep canned chicken on hand to throw into rice with a can of cream of chicken soup and frozen peas for a quick chicken and rice dish.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love the juice that comes with canned beans, so I like to extend it. One favorite is butter beans.

1 can butter beans
1/2 cup water
1/2 finely chopped onion
lots of garlic
1/4# sliced kielbasa

Mash the beans with a potato masher. Simmer everything but the kielbasa until the onion and garlic are soft. Add the kielbasa slices at the end and just heat through. The kielbasa adds the salt for you.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

As a boy scout, this was one meal we always made on a camping trip. I still make it on occasion. Be careful, the instructions are very complicated!

GLOP

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
8 oz can of mushrooms
8 oz can of peas
16 oz can of diced or sliced potatoes
10 oz can of cream of mushroom soup

Brown the beef with the onions.

Add everything else

Heat through.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As a boy scout, this was one meal we always made on a camping trip. I still make it on occasion. Be careful, the instructions are very complicated!

GLOP

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
8 oz can of mushrooms
8 oz can of peas
16 oz can of diced or sliced potatoes
10 oz can of cream of mushroom soup

Brown the beef with the onions.

Add everything else

Heat through.
I hate recipes that give you options. I would spend far too much time trying to decide if I wanted to slice or dice the potatoes to make this.
Not to mention I don't think my stove has a heat through setting... would that be 2 or higher?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

I hate recipes that give you options. I would spend far too much time trying to decide if I wanted to slice or dice the potatoes to make this.
Not to mention I don't think my stove has a heat through setting... would that be 2 or higher?
The recipe calls for a can of already prepped potatoes, pac! Just open, dump and heat!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When ground beef or turkey is on sale I buy a couple pounds and fry it with peppers, onions, celery and mushrooms. I freeze it in one and two cup containers for quick and easy meals. Things like dirty rice, American goulash, chili, spaghetti sauce, tacos, sloppy joes and on and on! Preparing this base allows me to add a variety of vegetables and eliminate the risk of spoilage. Celery was always a problem before I started this, now I can use a bunch every few weeks...
Thank you for the reminder. I used to do that with ground beef and for some reason I have forgotten to do this. Yes, this base is very handy. If I could't be bothered to cut up celery, etc. then I just fried it with onions.

If you don't want to make "servings", then spread it out on waxed paper on a cookie sheet and freeze it. The lumps are easy to break up and put into one large container. Then any amount can be taken out at one time and it defrosts quickly.

Tags
homemade, meals