Semi-Homemade Lazy Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A rotisserie chicken lends itself to many meals. I have also done the trick of hamburger base with veggies and plopped in the freezer.

I use Bertolli marinara to make everything from pizza to American goulash. Canned tuna, of course, canned beans. I've even been known to toss extras in to Ramen.

Favorite ramen recipe:
4 packages of ramen, cooked, drained and chilled (throw away the flavor packets)
1 cup sliced green onions, green and white parts
1 large red pepper, seeded and diced
2 cups baby bok choy, sliced thin

Dressing:
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons minced ginger root
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons sesame seeds

Mix all together and serve chilled.

I hate recipes that give you options. I would spend far too much time trying to decide if I wanted to slice or dice the potatoes to make this.
Not to mention I don't think my stove has a heat through setting... would that be 2 or higher? ;)

If you decide to make this, I'll rewrite the recipe without options just for you.

Time for a new stove.

What are boy scouts doing carrying all that canned food around in their backpacks anyway?
:LOL:

Carrying canned goods on a camping trip was not ideal but back in the early 60's there weren't a lot of options. We didd't have the array of freeze-dried options available today and prepping a lot of fresh veggies just didn't happen.

Our troop actually had a reputation for good food. At jamborees, scouts from other troops would gather around our campfires drooling over our food.

Carrying canned goods on a camping trip was not ideal but back in the early 60's there weren't a lot of options. We didd't have the array of freeze-dried options available today and prepping a lot of fresh veggies just didn't happen.

Our troop actually had a reputation for good food. At jamborees, scouts from other troops would gather around our campfires drooling over our food.

Your "Glop" beats S'mores hands down...

Your "Glop" beats S'mores hands down...

I never liked S'mores. Something about the hot, melted combination of marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers that didn't appeal. I think it was because the marshmallows always got a little burned and I don't like that flavor in my food.

They were too sweet, even when I was a kid, I didn't like the too sweet stuff. I'd rather have another hotdog or burger.

I just ate the chocolate. No interest in graham crackers back in the day.

Not a big s'more fan here either. I was more into pie irons and pizza (to keep this OT I used jarred pizza sauce ;)).

Almost forgot about Slop. A package of frozen mixed vegetables, Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, a bit of chicken boullion or BTB, a can of sliced mushrooms with juice, and some cubed Velveeta. Maybe some water to thin it out. Nuke for a few minutes. It can be turned into soup in the next few days, if there's any left.

Last edited:
I'm digging up an old post because I have been all about easy with work hours!
I make a tuna slop.... canned tuna, cream of whatever I have, mixed veggies and a box of kraft Mac and cheese. Mix all, add breadcrumbs and bake. I love it!
I had an ex that made me dinner once. It was chili cheese chips, a can of chili over it and melted cheese on top... microwaved. It was a little hard on the belly but he tried :mellow:
I make quesadillas a lot on the George Foreman. Chopped prepared chicken and cheese on tortillas with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
Easiest dinner on the grill or oven is taking one chicken breast in olive oil, salt and pepper, thin sliced potato on top a couple slices of green pepper and onion, a squirt of BBQ sauce and a sprinkle of cheddar.

AFAIC, graham crackers are for pie crusts.

No one in my family likes graham cracker crusts for a pie. They would rather eat them just as they are for a snack. So whether it is a cheesecake, or some other recipe calling for graham cracker crust, they are quite happy with just a regular crust. A lot of times I will just use a Phyllo crust. That is always a hit.

Another crust I hate is the Ritz Cracker crust. Ritz Crackers are just too sweet for my taste buds. I am more interested in the main ingredient of the pie than the crust. The crust is just a vehicle to be able to serve a slice in one piece.

It seems that the older Jeannie and I get, the less we eat..
That said, I seldom create a full meal with all fresh ingredients anymore..
I suppose its true that the majority of our meals are "Semi Homemade Lazy Meals"..

The exception is my newest hobby of dessert for two baking..

While I cook very simply now, I truly enjoy the efforts of all DC members...

Ross

Used to be a Sandra Lee type long before I ever heard of her. Started getting into cooking with mostly fresh ingredients probably more than 20 years ago. Can't see myself reverting.;)

I'm not big on graham crackers either. On the rare occasions I make s'mores, I use saltines. I also tend to use nilla or chocolate wafers for crusts instead of GCs.

Back
Top Bottom