Sending miso paste in the mail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who don't know, miso is soybean paste; it comes in a variety of colors and is commonly used in Japanese cooking. It's very salty and there are several different varieties. To my knowledge the most commonly used varieties of miso paste are:

*white
*brown
*red
*yellow

What miso tastes like, depends upon the color of it. I'm guessing that the lighter the color is, the milder the flavor.

Anyway, the only place I can find it is at an oriental food store about a half hour away from where I live; it's also perishable and sold in the refrigerator
case of the oriental food store.

Can I send this in the mail if I take the proper precautions? I already did a web search via a search engine and several sites have popped up regarding how to send perishable food in the mail. I'm essentially making a Japanese care package for my friend, with the staples used in Japanese cooking
enclosed in it. The only perishable thing I have to send thus far is the miso paste. Please help! I could really use help regarding this! (need advice, suggestions, recommendations, etc.)

Here are the links for how to send perishable food:

Mailing Perishable Foods - HGIC @ Clemson University

To my knowledge I've never seen miso in powdered form. The only thing I have seen in powdered form is dashi.

No offense intended but your remark doesn't really answer my original question with this thread. Not trying to be rude, and apologize if I come off that way, just being honest.

Also all varieties of miso is very easy to purchase online so it would probably be ALOT cheaper and easier to buy it online and have it shipped directly to your friend...as well as any other Japanese cooking products.

Miso Paste & Soup

I already said that my intent wasn't to offend you and if I was rude that it was purely by accident. I then apologized. What else more do you want me to say?

As for the link, I appreciate those who sent me the link; thank you.
The only problem is, it doesn't specify how much it costs, it just gives
a product description, along with the common uses for miso.

Is miso powder inferior in quality to miso paste? I don't want to send something that is going to be inferior or not taste as good as the real deal, because I'm sending it to my friend. If I send gifts or packages to them (which is rare, only during Christmas really) I tend to splurge since I'm buying for somebody else, not myself.

You shouldn't have a problem shipping miso paste in the mail. You could buy one of those little blue ice packs if you were really concerned with it, and line the box with styrofoam or put it in a insulated lunch bag, but so long as it's sealed, the amount of salt in a miso paste is going to make it very difficult for something to "infect" it. I'd say you'd be fine. The salt coupled with the low temperatures this time of year should make it no problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom