"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Munk, I'm glad you posted this. I am particularly concerned about the part where you said the rabies shot started the downfall. I have been worried about my own dog, almost 15 and suffering from "benign" tumors (benign = it will kill him some day but with luck not any day soon, but surgery would likely kill him today). I wonder if it's possible to get a rabies vaccination waiver for very old dogs.

I recall my friends and their dog "Sr. Pepe" (a chihuahua as you might guess) who they fed nothing but cooked chicken wings for the last few years of his life (blind, limited mobility, but they still took him camping often). I don't know how they cooked the chicken. My dog was just a youth at 5-8 years old then.
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,038
Puppy food is high in calories and fats so it might add some weight. When our lab got to that stage with her liver problems we fed her baby food or a home made dish of ground meat, mixed veggies, rice or small pasta, and some low sodium broth.
__________________

__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Munk, I'm glad you posted this. I am particularly concerned about the part where you said the rabies shot started the downfall. I have been worried about my own dog, almost 15 and suffering from "benign" tumors (benign = it will kill him some day but with luck not any day soon, but surgery would likely kill him today). I wonder if it's possible to get a rabies vaccination waiver for very old dogs.

I recall my friends and their dog "Sr. Pepe" (a chihuahua as you might guess) who they fed nothing but cooked chicken wings for the last few years of his life (blind, limited mobility, but they still took him camping often). I don't know how they cooked the chicken. My dog was just a youth at 5-8 years old then.
It would be great if Animal Control would issue waiver's to the Senior's. What I got was a notice the rabies were due now. To avoid a penalty please send proof that it's been done. But hey, The Department Of Health has to have their money. Regardless of the costs to the pets lives and owners. I've yet to recieve any of the dogs tags. They are still illegal, can and will be picked up by Animal Control without them. Oh, and were stuck with the late fees and fines.

It would be nice if the waiver starts when your dog turns 10. @10 some do start having health issues that a rabies shot wouldn't help anyways. It's all just fluff.

This time around all 3 of my dogs had the same shots, same day. Hannah is the only one that's taken it this way. It was a week for her to fully go blind. She was happy, more playful then she is today. Now we can't even get her to walk out the front door have a smell around.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Well I paid the fees and he had the shots for about 13 years. I don't currently have any official residence so my dog isn't registered or shot, and he has my phone number on his collar (not that I expect him to be anywhere without me). I guess if he gets loose and gets snagged then I'll have to face Animal Control, and maybe get him shot to get him out. He has gotten loose exactly once in the last 13 years, and a neighbor a block away phoned me from the info on his tag.

I'd rather leave my car keys on the hood in a public parking lot than take any chance my beloved dog could get out without me on the other end of his leash.

(Actually I've kept up his other shots. Rabies is every 3 years. I think end of this year he is due.)
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,300
Have you reported this to the vet? Maybe that lot of rabies shots are causing problems with other dogs. I'm so sorry...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Have you reported this to the vet? Maybe that lot of rabies shots are causing problems with other dogs. I'm so sorry...
No I haven't reported it yet.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
It would be great if Animal Control would issue waiver's to the Senior's. What I got was a notice the rabies were due now. To avoid a penalty please send proof that it's been done. But hey, The Department Of Health has to have their money. Regardless of the costs to the pets lives and owners. I've yet to recieve any of the dogs tags. They are still illegal, can and will be picked up by Animal Control without them. Oh, and were stuck with the late fees and fines.

It would be nice if the waiver starts when your dog turns 10. @10 some do start having health issues that a rabies shot wouldn't help anyways. It's all just fluff.

This time around all 3 of my dogs had the same shots, same day. Hannah is the only one that's taken it this way. It was a week for her to fully go blind. She was happy, more playful then she is today. Now we can't even get her to walk out the front door have a smell around.

Munky.
I am so sorry to hear that. In Canada, veterinarians can issue waivers if a dog's health is such it would be compromised. I quit vaccinating my dogs around the age of 9-10. My Newfoundland had autoimmune issues and was only given a rabies vac at 4 mo and again at 12 mo. At 16 mo. is when we discovered his a/i issue. Some folks have the titers done and only boost when the titer shows it is needed. My own vet's rabies titer remained unchanged for more than 11 years (rabies vax, for humans, hurts by the way and requires 3 shots). Here, if a dog bites s/one and doesn't have a current rabies vaccine, the dog can be put under home quarantine. All of you with sr. dogs, I'd ask my vet if a waiver could be issued instead of vaccinating sr. dogs (or cats).
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky

No I haven't reported it yet.
:
This may or may not be of help:


http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/1...ine-reactions/
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
All of you with sr. dogs, I'd ask my vet if a waiver could be issued instead of vaccinating sr. dogs (or cats).
I'll do that. My beloved will be 15 by the time it becomes an issue. Isn't that like 105 years old in human terms? (assuming 1 human year = 7 dog years)
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks

I'll do that. My beloved will be 15 by the time it becomes an issue. Isn't that like 105 years old in human terms? (assuming 1 human year = 7 dog years)
There's actually a different formula. For the first few years, 1 year =7 dog years. After that, it pretty much levels out, and your dog is not as old as was previously thought. Little dogs are old at 12, big dogs at 8, or around there. Our neighbor's big hound is 15 1/2, and still going strong! Beagle is 7, and doing well. My mom's nasty cocker lived almost 20 years, her Setter made it to 17.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.