"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Honey Badger

Senior Dog's Diet?

My Dog Hannah is 15. We've known for a while that she has cancer. The mass is in a bad spot, right on her rib cage. We felt it was better to leave it and her alone and let nature take it's course.

Her weight has dropped considerably in the last month. She will eat some kibble but not much. I've taken over making her meals. She can't eat more than 2 to 4 Tablespoons of food at a time. She becomes distressed.

I've been making her Chicken, Rice, Ground Pork, mixed in with Scrambled Eggs. Hamburger, Bacon. She's fed every few hours around the clock.

What else can I feed her to help her gain some weight back? Seriously out of ideas here. Wondering if what I've been doing has been nutritionally enough for her.

Thank you

Munky

Old 05-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

What does your vet say? I know some vets recommend a diet high in veggies for cancer dogs. I have found white fish, sweet potato is something cancer dogs like, as are hard boiled eggs. How is her quality of life? Does she like cottage cheese? Yogurt?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh, Munky. That is so hard. My elderly dogs had all lost movement in their back legs, with some doggie Alzheimers mixed in. No cancer.

Would some protein mix help? Maybe full-fat Greek yogurt or raw eggs? Will check online.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What does your vet say? I know some vets recommend a diet high in veggies for cancer dogs. I have found white fish, sweet potato is something cancer dogs like, as are hard boiled eggs. How is her quality of life? Does she like cottage cheese? Yogurt?
All he said was make her comfy as possible. Not much we can do. If she sees next month it's only because she wants to. Her Breed Australian/ Lab in her. She's not supposed to have dairy. It makes her itch. We used to call her "Dairy Queen" Life was good if she could swipe a butter wrapper from the trash can. I've been giving her eggs anyways. Salmon is her utmost favorite.I do have some canned Pumpkin, she loves that. Never cared much for veggies. Looks like I'll be headed to the store.

Quality of life? She was doing alright until a few weeks ago when we took her in for her Rabies shot. We were all aware that she had Cataracts. After that she took a dive.
She's now blind. Gets around if the lights are kept on. She freaks out if I'm not around where she can smell me. As long as I keep close she remains calm. She will wander until I go to her and bring her back to her bed.

Someone is always with her. If she needs help finding her way the other dogs step in guides her through the doggy door. Naps often. Once she's had a good nap she does still wants to wrassle with the little one.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Munky.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh Munky! I would be tempted to give her what ever she wants. Some bacon grease would help calorie wise. Other than that...lots of love.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Mac and cheese is good for adding weight to a dog, but at her age I'd be glad she eats anything. I actually switched from a senior dog food back to a regular adult formula with my eldest a year ago, anticipating that weight drop they all get approaching the end of their time. I don't want to say nutrition is unimportant, but as long as she's eating and happy I'd be satisified.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Oh Munky! I would be tempted to give her what ever she wants. Some bacon grease would help calorie wise. Other than that...lots of love.
+1

Bacon and salmon, maybe with eggs and pumpkin.

So sad. Dogs just don't last long enough.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Mac and cheese is good for adding weight to a dog, but at her age I'd be glad she eats anything. I actually switched from a senior dog food back to a regular adult formula with my eldest a year ago, anticipating that weight drop they all get approaching the end of their time. I don't want to say nutrition is unimportant, but as long as she's eating and happy I'd be satisified.
Agree, Pac.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I have a sixteen year old red heeler named Sadie. She is blind with cataract, which I hope to have corrected up at UC Davis. Excellent veterinary school there. She also has a mass on her ribcage, but it seems to all be outside the ribs and gets larger if I give her anything with any kind of sugar in it. That includes corn syrup, so wienie's are taboo. No sugar, the mass shrinks and stabilizes. I've raised her pretty much on Ace Hi premium kibble and some of whatever I eat, supplemented by ground up leftover poultry carcasses, which I reduce in a pressure cooker until the bones soften and grind, mix back in the cooking broth with a handful of fresh flax meal. It sets up in the fridge, and is her primary snack food. She still goes crazy over the squirrels in the oaks, and outdrives her headlights, but she's good in familiar places. I don't re-arrange the furniture. I think if she needed some weight I would add cooked brown rice to her chicken pate. Even now, I occasionally sneak some veggies into it. She also gets Thai grilled salmon occasionally from the local health food store deli. Right now, she and I are splitting a chicken I rolled in OO and cracked pepper and rotisseried. When she was younger I occasionally treated her with a Slim Jim, but stopped when I read the label. Everything in them is OK, I think, except the corn syrup.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Munky, I'm so sorry. I've been there, done that many times. The thing about dogs that are terminally ill is that they may eat something one day, and you think "good, found the magic food" only to have them not eat it the next day. I would boil chicken liver and make it into a paste...and then make it into a soup...sometimes that was the favorite of the day. Other times it was pasta, other times cottage cheese, other times, hot dogs. Whatever the dog would eat.

Tags
diet