Serving a Piece of Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Do You Serve Cake?

• Standing up

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Laying on its side

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Either way, it doesn't matter

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
You've made or bought a nice cake as dessert for a dinner. It could be a single frosted layer or a frosted multi-layer cake.

It's time for dessert so you cut a slice and place it on the plate.

How do you position that slice?

If it is two high layers, I place it on its side. Not so large layers, then standing up so it can be admired with oohs and ahs. It is always more impressive when it is standing up. If you notice almost all professional pictures of a piece of cake is having it standing up. :angel:

I lay them on their sides, so they don't fall over. Professional pictures are for advertising, not for eating ;)

It also depends what size the person wants. If it is a big piece, it will stand up better. Ask for a thin piece and it is better served on it side. :angel:

I'm a klutz so if I don't PLACE it on its side it will FALL there. Might as well look like I have it under control. :rolleyes:

Orange Grand Marnier Cake with Strawberries and freshly whipped cream.jpg

I just like it ON my plate! :yum:
I make a Orange Grand Marnier Cake with Strawberries and freshly whipped cream that is a big hit `round here. :blush:

I always try to serve it standing up - I'm a kinda presentation nut.
But when someone wants 'just a sliver', it usually has to lie down on its side.

I said either way but it DOES matter to me.

I let the piece of cake choose. Be the cake.. be the cake...

Depends on what kind of cake it is. If I really like it, it can be placed on the plate standing or laying, as the slice I will be having will be too big to fall over!:pig:

It's cake. :yum:

I don't care how it's positioned on the plate. :rolleyes:

I don't even care if it's on a plate. ;)

Put it in front of me and see how long it lasts. :pig:

If it is two high layers, I place it on its side. Not so large layers, then standing up so it can be admired with oohs and ahs. It is always more impressive when it is standing up. If you notice almost all professional pictures of a piece of cake is having it standing up. :angel:

What Addie said !

I picked "either way", not because it doesn't matter but because it depends on the cake and the occasion you are plating it for. When I am cutting small pieces from tall wedding cake tiers I put them on their sides because I need to be fast and they wouldn't stand up anyway.

If it is a fancy layer cake that is being plated for a special dinner, I will usually put it on its side and add ice cream, whipped cream and/or berries.

If it is for pictures or if the cake is cut in large wedges or squares I will usually serve it standing up. Cheesecake is standing up as are brownies.

laying on its side...that way is easier to attack, or eat, the slice, and to eat just the right amount of icing with cake bites
Agreed. The cake-to-icing ratio rules all.

Besides, like Alix, I'm clumsy. It's going to end up on its side sooner or later. I prefer I'm deciding plating position rather than the cake taking over.

it depends on the radial circumference of the slice vs the radius, and the delta-sub v as it is easiest as it approaches my mouth.

in other words, is it the slice wide enough to stand up on its own? or is it better to change the relative spatial z component so that it rests with the least amount of inflicted but enjoyable entropy.

hmm, wouldn't this make all slices a form of pi?

chief, this one's for you. :smartass::smartass:

I have been experimenting with sauces on the plate before a desert is added. Did one a couple of weeks ago with a chocolate cake. Made a raspberry sauce and decorated the plate then added the cake standing up to see the sauce design.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom