Sesame oil questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
a family member had a big thing of sesame oil, and gave me some...ive never used it before, but have been wanting to for a while

need some tips – what’s the smoke point? Will heat destroy the flavor? can i cook/saute/wok with it, or is it better as a finishing oil? Would def like to wok with it if possible (i only use enough to lightly coat the wok, never enough to really "fry")

unfortunately, i dont have the original bottle, so i dont know how refined it is....its clear, with a medium brown hue to it

im going to start tonight with a honey ginger vinaigrette that i make and is very good

It can have a strong flavor, I use it sparingly, not as the main oil I stir fry with. You'll just have to try it and find out what is your preferred taste.

Sesame oil has a relatively low smoke point, so it should not be used for frying; I use peanut oil as my basic cooking oil for Asian recipes. I use sesame oil in marinades and salad dressings, and as a finishing oil for stir fries. It also goes rancid relatively quickly, so I keep mine in the refrigerator to prolong its shelf life.

Refined sesame oil can be cooked with, as it has a higher smoke point, but you will still destroy the flavor. Because I am really using it for flavor, in general I only use it for very light sauteeing (say just heating it with garlic over low heat to bring out the flavor) or for finishing (no heat). Plus, it makes more sense to use a cheaper oil for cooking / frying.

I brush sesame oil on my Salmon before I grill it. I mostly use it as a flavor booster.

Liz

This is a product well worth buying in an Asian market, if you can find one.
You will be amazed at how much LESS expensive it is.

It makes an excellent toss for noodles that are to be eaten cold, too.
Works very well in stir fry seasoning mixes.
I like to splash a little onto my stir fry ingredients just before they go into the wok.

Back
Top Bottom