Shame on me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
I just spent $160. on Amazon for stuff I don't need but think I do. Except for the bubble bath from France it was all cooking related.

I will soon have everything I need to make tortillas from scratch (that stuff cost a bundle). I also bought this pressure cooker cook book which I need and was a bargain compared to the other stuff.

Just yesterday I spent $300. on ball valves for the fish room. What ever will I do with myself? I pay my credit cards on in full every month unless I have a disaster which can take a few months...But I spend all my excess money on my passions. At my age this is not a good way of doing.

Last edited:
No worries, Liz. You earned, you spend it! As Katie said, you can't take it with you! (Well, Rex Harrison did in The Honey Pot, but that's probably not the norm.)

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, we spent $79.00 for 13.3# of this.
36788-albums309-picture6525.jpg

36788-albums309-picture6526.jpg

It was $5.94 #. Good thing we have a Food Saver.:)

I just hope that when my time comes I'll walk outside and get struck by a bolt of lightning.

Both my parents died quickly of heart attacks. I figured that's how I'll do it too.

Spend it while you got it, says I! We no longer need "stuff", so we mostly spend our money on vacations. And food at Costco.

Don't worry about it. You can't take it with you. I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse, except on the Internet. And we all know, everything you see/read on the Internet is true.:ROFLMAO::ermm:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good one Katie. Thanks for the laugh. :angel:

Liz,
We spent a good bit last year upgrading the kitchen.
Heck the stove and refrigerator we got 5 years ago cost less than what I spent last year.
Note: The appliances were not exactly new. The lady only used them for about 3 months before getting a divorce. I don't think she had even turned on the oven. We got them both for $400.

Last year, new toaster oven (fits a 9 by 13 pan), new bread machine, used kitchenaid with most of the accessories, new steamer, new stockpot, 2nd food chopper, tortilla press, tortilla holders, big cast iron pizza pan for cooking the tortillas, deep fryer, new strainers and I have forgotten what all else. I think grand total was $600. Oh and a bread keeper. The 19 piece measuring cup and spoon set times 2.
Not to mention all the various little things rescued from the thrift store.
And assorted cheap cookbooks.

So don't feel bad about the spending, we all need to upgrade sometimes and what you bought should last a lifetime.

*sigh* I just bought another dollhouse. Which I need like a hole in the head, but since I apparently already have that.......

I made myself stop buying minis since I've been working on my 4 room DH for over 2 years now... well except for mini petit point projects.

Well, it doesn't help that I am currently working on a kit, have another one built that needs to be finished, and two more under the sofa waiting to be put together. But you know what they say. Twenty kids makes you a hoarder, twenty cats makes you a crazy cat lady, twenty dollhouse kits makes you normal.

And yes, I plan on being buried with some of these dollhouses. Maybe then they'll finally get finished. :LOL:

When I moved into my first house ( condo) , I was young and broke. Within the first week the washer/ dryer broke. It was one of those piggy-back washer and dryers , so we had to replace them both ( About $1000 we didn't have). At that point , i said to myself, screw it, if Im going to spend $1000 on something I don't want, IM going to buy something I do want !!! Found out , by this experience , that there is never a 'good time' to buy things, and its difficult to save, i ran out and spent a few hundred bucks on a nice fish tank that I always wanted. I figured I worked hard and deserved it. ( and its a lot more fun than a washer/ dryer). Most important thing is it made me happy, I ultimately paid it off.

Last year here in Italy was a veery hot year. I have to be a bit careful because I had a stroke two years ago, and nearly had another because of the heat. It's true - you can't take it with you, and if these things give you pleasure why the heck not! All the contributors to this site are experienced cooks and you all know what a pleasure it is to get the right equipment and the right food. It's fundamental to the wellbeing of all of you, so I say, enjoy what you can when you can and rejoice in the knowledge that, quite simply, you can, and here on this site you can make good contributions that will provide lots of help to those who need it. Happy cooking to everyone! On a personal note, I've learned a great deal from all of you, and intend to carry on doing so - a great big thinks to you all!

di reston Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

That was one of the reasons I finally got an air conditioner. I had heat exhaustion about 30 years ago and am very sensitive to the heat, and then there was my aneurysm 2 1/2 years ago as well.

Back
Top Bottom