Sharp Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to the kitchen, I don't do much of anything my mother does. She keeps her cheap knives in a crock next to the stove, so they can knock against each other, dulling and damaging the blades. She was too impatient to teach me much about cooking, so I've learned on my own, plus taking several classes, plus two months in culinary school (I had to withdraw for medical reasons, but I was there long enough to keep the knife kit! :clap:).

A good chef's knife is a great tool that makes cooking much easier. Just like quality cookware. YMMV, of course ;)

I could have written that myself. To the T

When it comes to the kitchen, I don't do much of anything my mother does. She keeps her cheap knives in a crock next to the stove, so they can knock against each other, dulling and damaging the blades. She was too impatient to teach me much about cooking, so I've learned on my own, plus taking several classes, plus two months in culinary school (I had to withdraw for medical reasons, but I was there long enough to keep the knife kit! :clap:).

A good chef's knife is a great tool that makes cooking much easier. Just like quality cookware. YMMV, of course ;)

Ha! Actually, I don't really do much that my mother did, either. She's a terrible cook and doesn't like doing it. My oldest sister and I took over doing most of the cooking once we were old enough, and I made dinner most nights throughout my high school years. My dad does most of their cooking now. I've learned a lot on my own, but I learned basics from watching her and my grandmother (admittedly also not a good cook), and I've never seen the reason to switch my knife preferences when they work just fine. I have no problems using a steak knife to cut a potato, and I'm much less likely to slice myself (I am accident prone and startle easily; not a good combination for large, sharp knife handling) You've taken classes, where I'm sure they taught you proper knife technique. I don't have that, so I'll stick with my small steak knife, and keep my fingers in working order.:stuart:

Also, I have no idea what YMMV means.

... I've learned a lot on my own, but I learned basics from watching her and my grandmother (admittedly also not a good cook), and I've never seen the reason to switch my knife preferences when they work just fine. I have no problems using a steak knife to cut a potato, and I'm much less likely to slice myself (I am accident prone and startle easily; not a good combination for large, sharp knife handling) You've taken classes, where I'm sure they taught you proper knife technique. I don't have that, so I'll stick with my small steak knife, and keep my fingers in working order.:stuart:

Also, I have no idea what YMMV means.

I should clarify, I actually use an 8" Henckels Santoku knife; the culinary knife kit came with a 10" knife that is too long to be comfortable for me. My husband likes it, though. I honestly can't imagine using a steak knife to make quick work of chopping a bunch of vegetables or fruits, especially melons.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, i.e., your experience may be different from mine ;)

Last edited:
Speaking of Mom's with knives...my Mom was scary.

I'll never forget her cutting up potatoes and onions in the palm of her hand right into a skillet of bacon grease. Ykies!!

Speaking of Mom's with knives...my Mom was scary.

I'll never forget her cutting up potatoes and onions in the palm of her hand right into a skillet of bacon grease. Ykies!!
You know how you smash a clove of garlic by laying the knife on the clove and hitting it? My mom tried to do that once by raising the knife high in the air and whamming it down on the clove - and I was right in front of her. If she'd lost control of the knife...

I showed her how to do it correctly and she said, "Ohhhh! I guess I missed that part" from whatever cooking show she was apparently half listening to.

I just got my knife sharpened , my friend also sharpened my cheese slicer... I suddenly got shorter nails.

I love my Mandolin

Just for clarity:

Mandolin

2718030521_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Mandoline (note the "e" on the end)

55007cf016886-cuisinart-mandoline-ctg-00-man-mdn.jpg

;)

It's just apparent that in many of the comments, the posters are unaware that the two instruments have different spellings.

Unless the red line pops up under the word I type, I would not know the difference.

So, yes, you are absolutely right I am unaware not only of two different spelling, I am unaware of spelling in general, as you can see in many of my posts. In the future, fire away and correct my spelling. I'll be grateful. :)

P.S. Not that i am defending myself, everybody knows I can't spell, but I did copy the spelling from the poster before me, an American poster, unlike me.

Last edited:
Unless the red line pops up under the word I type, I would not know the difference.

So, yes, you are absolutely right I am unaware not only of two different spelling, I am unaware of spelling in general, as you can see in many of my posts. In the future, fire away and correct my spelling. I'll be grateful. :)

P.S. Not that i am defending myself, everybody knows I can't spell, but I did copy the spelling from the poster before me, an American poster, unlike me.

But please keep in mind, that it is not that Charlie can't spell, but that The English language is a foreign language to him. Even the letters are totally foreign to what he grew up with. Some day just take a look at the letters of the Russian language. Would you be able to spell in his native tongue?

But please keep in mind, that it is not that Charlie can't spell, but that The English language is a foreign language to him. Even the letters are totally foreign to what he grew up with. Some day just take a look at the letters of the Russian language. Would you be able to spell in his native tongue?

English seems to be a foreign language to many native born Americans too (not pointed at anyone here, just an observation from years of reading a lot of useless junk online :rolleyes: ). I'm only OCD about one thing, and that is using mostly correct spelling and grammar when I post anything online. I can't break down and name most of the parts of a sentence, but I am generally able to put words together to make a reasonably coherent statement. I feel a bit ashamed of myself when I go back and reread a post and find a stupid mistake after it's too late to edit.

My post wasn't directed at Charlie. I've had quite a few friends who have moved here from all over the world, and I have no criticism for anyone who has the guts to make such a monumental change in their lives. Most of the posts that mentioned a kitchen mandoline spelled it as the musical instrument, not the kitchen utensil, an easy and understandable mistake. I was simply pointing it out for anyone who cared to know the correct terminology.

Last edited:

Charlie makes no more spelling errors than I do..

My excuse? None, other than I missed spelling class that day..and all subsequent days.. (thank you spell check for correcting 'subsequent') :wacko:

I was really good at sports and Rock N Roll dancing tho... :rolleyes:

Ross

Ross

Charlie makes no more spelling errors than I do..

My excuse? None, other than I missed spelling class that day..and all subsequent days.. (thank you spell check for correcting 'subsequent') :wacko:

I was really good at sports and Rock N Roll dancing tho... :rolleyes:
Ross
Ross

I wasn't aiming my post at anyone in particular. I have tried to be a friend to a person who grew up under Communism. My daughter-in-law also did. Her father has only been here for about three years. And he couldn't speak not one word of English. So I understand where Charlie is coming from. Other than the circle of friends that his daughter and wife had, he knew no one who could speak his language. My heart broke for him. Fortunately my son along with his baby learned to speak his language. So that was a help.

Every time I saw him I always gave him a big hug. It became the family joke. But I always taught him a new word of English. And we would sit for about twenty minutes while he practice the word and knew the meaning. So I understand what Charlie had to go through when he first arrived in this country. My heart goes out to him. English is not the easiest language to learn. Nor understand or spell. Just start with "bow, bough". Is that a bow for the hair, or bow from the waist"? Or bough for a tree or bow from the waist"? Americans know (or should know) the difference. But since that is so confusing, imagine how an alien to our shores feels.

For my son's FIL to try and find a job when he first arrived was impossible. Finally Home Depot hired him only because another worker came from his country. (Albania) That is where he learned most of his English. He is a fantastic carpenter and HD put both of them in the lumber department.

I wasn't aiming my post at anyone in particular.

I understand that, Addie and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were.. :)

I was, in my own simple manner, applauding Charlie for his efforts in spelling in a language which is not one he grew up speaking..

Ross

I understand that, Addie and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were.. :)

I was, in my own simple manner, applauding Charlie for his efforts in spelling in a language which is not one he grew up speaking..

Ross

Glad to hear that. English is so dang complicated. It is a wonder that anyone can learn it. Even the Americans. And then there is the "Queen's English."

I have told this story before. When my first child was born, my husband who was English offered to change her diaper. Nappy is in language. He brought the dirty diaper out to me and ask where should he put the "Nappy". Where it belongs, was my reply. I didn't know what a Nappy was. So he put it with the other ones. Imagine my surprise when I found the dirty diaper the next time I went to get a clean one. So if I have trouble trying to understand a person who does speak English, I can only imagine what it is like for those who come to our shores.

Back
Top Bottom